NBC Exec discusses DAYS' Future

• Members

It's NBC! Pretty much 75%!of their prime time should have been canceled with the low ratings! If it wasn't for football and to a little extent the voice, the network still would be in 4th place.

I really want the soap to at least make it to its 50th. I be happy with that.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Exactly, I'd love for some changes that lead to exciting stories but for the most part these are characters I know and love or have grown to know and love, and I truly just can't imagine not watching Days or at least FF through Dr. McHairy Chests scenes.

• Members

He's hardly going to say that Days will be cancelled.

Even if he was the most ardent soap fan there is,the ultimate decision will come down to whether the show is financially viable and attracting enough of the desirable demo.

Maybe in March it will be renewed for another year (probably with options to cancel if certain targets are not met.)

• Members

I know soap fans love to discuss weekly and daily ratings, but that never seem to have been a factor for DAYS. Season to date HH & Demo is what matters and what is talked about by corday & NBC, and while not doing great they are doing ok. Plus, it being on NBC and that the whole network is a disaster, i was never very worried about it. Not to say if it were axed id be shocked or anything, but with it averaging 2.3mil as the article states i just dont see it going anywhere anytime soon.

Days will likely be the last soap standing.

• Members

I really don´t think this is a good news. We now know for sure the show wasn´t renewed yet. Yes, it´s very likely the deal will be done (we always knew that), but the ball is now fully on NBC side and you bet they will make Corday squirm. If they were happy with the show they would renew it months ago. This is the first time they drag it so long. Either Corday is holding out hoping for a better deal if the Jan and Feb stuff proves to be a success (good luck with that) or NBC refuses to deal until the ratings show his promisses of things turning around soon are right this time. Either way I think another round of budget cuts and cast departures is ineviable and I still don´t think the cancelation is fully out of question. After all, excutives likes Greenblatt lie 90 percent of time, it´s sort of part of the job.

• Members

Days is really, really lucky if this is true -- it is benefitting from NBC Primetime's woes and the networks needs to keep a loyal audience. NBC probably doesn't want to look around for a show to replace it, now that Today is looking eminently more fallible.

I'm glad for Days because I loved that soap for a long time. I just wish it was spurring some fundamental change behind the scenes. Like, if Shari Anderson were ever to be hired as HW or co-HW, I would be SO happy. This woman always had a vision for the show.

• Members

NBC waited until March 2010 to announce DAYS was renwed through 2011 and that was a good time for the show ratings wise. The only reason the two year renewal was announced in November was to coincide with the 45th anniversary.

• Members
Now that all the "obvious choices" soaps are canceled I really can't guess. CBS seems to enjoy the lineup they have now, it is diverse and does great. I really don't see them messing with YR and BB for awhile and I don't see NBC canceling Days when its the only show they have in afternoon. GH is the only one in immediate danger IMO.

• Members

Right, because DAYS doesnt have a history of defying the odds. Its been written off for many years now, and at one point NBC execs said it was done. Yet its still here...

Exactly. This isnt a rare thing, not to mention its also going off a one year option that was picked up so its not huge that it hasnt been renewed before now.

• Members

I do think it's gonna stick around. I mean, NBC has to be realizing Today needs a hard look at and would they even have anything in the pipeline to replace it yet? We'd probably have heard something and I can't see them giving up the hour to the affiliates. You never know, but I doubt it.

However, as someone said, executives lie. The ratings could literally nosedive between now and say March and bam, the show's done. I still won't take his word for it until I see actual renewal news. However, his non-committal talk about it, I took to mean it's hardly on his radar (hence not a problem for them to be worrying about) so he was kinda just brushing it off. IMO.

• Members

Sony primetime pretty much give away their shows to networks to maximize revenue from syndication and international sales: Community, Fringe, Unforgettable. Happy Endings may even survive too because they will give it to ABC for free to get to syndication. Add in newly cancelled Mob Doctor and Last Resort and it hasn't been a good year for Sony.

Assuming the same business model applies to daytime, Sony will fight to keep Y&R and DAYS on even if they have to sacrifice margin - they'll just push international sales harder.

If fan events are anything to rely on, it seems NBC chose Tomlin/Whitesell, not Corday. That may give Corday/Sony negotiation leverage too.

Compare that to P&G and Brian Frons, and thats why DAYS is alive.

It doesn't hurt. Your crappy show being cancelled should hurt more smile.png

Archived