July 3-7, 2006

Toups

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow Days demos were not bad. Oh well-back up next week for sure.

Yeah but no one is putting spin on it or making excuses-its the facts. They only counted one day and most likely some didn't even think they were on last week. Plus, people were on vacations and stuff all week. Hell, NBC expects this every year. Days actually did not srop as much as recent years so it's not horrible. I mean it dropped -6 in 2001-that is pretty bad. Days or Passions can not be blamed for this. I find it funny though that even with NBC off and even with having two more days counted then NBC all the others soaps except OLTL either dropped or stayed the same. Now they don't have excuses-NBC does. If NBC was on THursday and Friday, Days and Passions would have held on at the very least to their numbers from the previous week because there would have been more days to balance things out and people were back from holiday gatherings and so forth. I was actually expecting worse numbers for the Wednesday show because most people travel hom on that day after the 4th.

It is not making excuses or spins-this happens every year with some worse then others so its unfair to say this is Days, Passions, or NBC's fault. Blame them for putting tennis on if you want but every time there are preemptions (just like for gold a few weeks ago) NBC doesn't always fare well and Wimbledon is always the worse. I am just happy Days got the 2.3-I have seen them drop more then -3 in the past.

• Members

It's interesting that both ATWT and Y&R had their two highest days of the week in terms of viewers on Monday and Tuesday. My feeling is that who cares whether they are counted or not. Glad to see people tuning in -- esp. 6M + for Y&R.

• Members

Phoenix, that is spin. Your whole post is. Sorry, but it is.

DAYS should not be in this circumstance to begin with. Our show is in some trouble. Record lows are never a good thing regardless of the circumstance and with a supercouple on its way out, wow. DAYS better get its act together in the next 6 weeks, if its going to want to keep J/J fans.

• Members

:( With Matt Ashford's being fired again, I've pretty much lost any remaining emotional investment I had in DAYS. 2.3 or worse is about what Corday deserves! And if DAYS is still getting 2.3s after Ashford/Reeves finish on the show(and they have been blamed by many here for low ratings), Joe Mascolo has presumably returned as Stefano and Sheffer's SLs have started airing, then the show is truly doomed!

Most of the J&J fanbase has been effectively lost over the last 3 years, and those who have hung on, in the hope Sheffer might finally give Matt Ashford a great SL, we are so disillusioned, there is no way DAYS can ever win us back again. I hold out little hope Ashford/Reeve's last few weeks on DAYS will be at all memorable, and any ratings gain the show might get out of a happy J&J ending will be extremely short lived.

DAYS has lost me for good! :(

• Members

We will just have to agree to disagree on this KR since many here do agree with me :) . Everything in my post actually is facts for the most part and all valid points. Days falls every year during this week and this year it only fell -3. It has fallen worse and considering they only counted one day Days should be lucky it even got a 2.3 with everything going on with the 4th and all. Days is in no more trouble then any other show. As for J&J fans, they aren't going to stay so who cares? Like Evan said, they have been gone for a few years already. Days will be fine as this week is nothing more then the traditional Wimbledon drop/fluke week. That is it. Next week Days will be 2.5 or better-case closed :)

NBC even expects drops for this week every year and having only one day counted I would think they expected worse. I am shocked Days actually did well in demos too so it wasn't all bad.

Again, we will just have to agree to disagree on this pal.

• Members

Notice I'm barely posting?

That's because I'm barely watching. I have nothing to say, because I'm just THAT bored. Everything on Days right now is completely "second verse, same as the first." I see where everything's going from five miles away -- and in most cases, I just don't care enough about the characters to give a damn either way. The only reason I watch the show nowadays is to critique the actors and critique the writing. Emotional investment is all but gone. I'm hoping Sheffer can bring that back.

I'm a Days fan, but I'll be the first to say when it's a heaping pile of garbage.

• Members

I am not writing it off KR but how can I worry about it when it happens every year? Some years Days has gone down -6 and I didn't panic then and I won't know. Not especially when they counted ONE day in their numbers and that one day was a day that alot of people are traveling home or still on vacation. Plus, alot of people didn't even think NBC was on with their soaps so I can't go proclaiming doom and gloom for a week like this. If Days does not recover next week, then fine I will be worried right along with you but every year they recover and usually end up right where they were prior to the week of premptions.

It's not spin-how can it be when this happens every year? I don't like them dropping but it was expected by everyone. I am actually surprised Days only fell to 2.3 and that it did decent in demos. That is something to be very proud of when counting one day.

Again, this is not spin or making excuses. It's just the facts. All my friends who watch didn't even watch last week and they watch all the time. I know two people who just assumed they were not on last week. A lot of factors KR. Like I said, if next week there is no recovery I will be right there with you worried.

I can understand why you are bored Kenny-hang in there transition periods suck :) .

• Members

I can see where you're coming from. But DAYS enthusiasts always have some type of reasoning for ratings being the way the are or some bright light at the end of the tunnel. The scary thing is, I think the JER and Corday feel/felt the same way. And they always think those good ratings are coming and that drops will just happen on certain weeks. I say bullshit! I say write a good soap and people will watch regardless of holiday or Wimbledon or whatev!

• Members

KR, I'm starting to see your point, especially noting that DAYS was able to somewhat maintain last year during Wimbeldon. If what they were delivering was better, the numbers wouldn't have been as brutal - Mon-Wed were awful for them.

MONDAY, 7/3

1.(1) Y&R: Monday: 4.5/5,915,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+713,000)

2.(2) B&B: Monday: 3.4/4,521,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+647,000)

3.(4) ATWT: Monday: 2.6/3,425,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+411,000)

4.(5) AMC: Monday: 2.5/3,043,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+176,000)

5.(8) OLTL: Monday: 2.4/2,949,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+374,000)

6.(6) GH: Monday: 2.4/2,874,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+105,000)

7.(7) GL: Monday: 2.1/2,841,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+80,000)

8.(3) DAYS: Monday: 2.0/2,693,000 (NOT COUNTED) (-473,000)

9.(9) PSNS: Monday: 1.3/1,824,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+54,000)

SUMMARY: DAYS only nosedives, the rest of the soaps got their usual Monday bounce.

TUESDAY, 7/4

1.(1) Y&R: Tuesday: 4.6/6,239,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+324,000)

2.(2) B&B: Tuesday: 3.6/4,947,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+426,000)

3.(3) ATWT: Tuesday: 2.5/3,626,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+201,000)

4.(6) GH: Tuesday: 2.6/3,488,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+614,000)

5.(4) AMC: Tuesday: 2.6/3,471,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+428,000)

5.(5) OLTL: Tuesday: 2.5/3,471,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+522,000)

7.(8) DAYS: Tuesday: 2.2/2,938,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+245,000)

8.(7) GL: Tuesday: 2.1/2,862,000 (NOT COUNTED) (+21,000)

9.(9) PSNS: Tuesday: 1.3/1,727,000 (NOT COUNTED) (-97,000)

SUMMARY: Passions makes a solo downwards turn. The 4th of July Holiday is good for soaps this year - not the same story last year.

WEDNESDAY, 7/5

1.(1) Y&R: Wednesday: 4.4/5,840,000 (-399,000)

2.(2) B&B: Wednesday: 3.4/4,608,000 (-339,000)

3.(5) AMC: Wednesday: 2.7/3,439,000 (-32,000)

4.(3) ATWT: Wednesday: 2.5/3,391,000 (-235,000)

5.(4) GH: Wednesday: 2.5/3,325,000 (-163,000)

6.(7) DAYS: Wednesday: 2.3/3,160,000 (+222,000)

7.(5) OLTL: Wednesday: 2.4/3,097,000 (-374,000)

8.(8) GL: Wednesday: 2.2/2,805,000 (-57,000)

9.(9) PSNS: Wednesday: 1.4/1,870,000 (+143,000)

SUMMARY: Only NBC Soaps had an up day.

THURSDAY, 7/6

1.(1) Y&R: Thursday: 4.1/5,236,000 (-604,000)

2.(2) B&B: Thursday: 3.2/4,060,000 (-548,000)

3.(5) GH: Thursday: 2.6/3,455,000 (+130,000)

4.(7) OLTL: Thursday: 2.5/3,387,000 (+290,000)

5.(3) AMC: Thursday: 2.4/3,345,000 (-94,000)

6.(4) ATWT: Thursday: 2.5/3,292,000 (-99,000)

7.(7) GL: Thursday: 2.2/2,920,000 (+115,000)

SUMMARY: AMC didn't go with the ABC up day pattern and joined the CBS soaps in taking a dive that CBS' GL avoided.

FRIDAY, 7/7

1.(1) Y&R: Friday: 4.2/5,647,000 (+411,000)

2.(2) B&B: Friday: 3.0/4,125,000 (+65,000)

3.(6) ATWT: Friday: 2.5/3,358,000 (+66,000)

4.(4) OLTL: Friday: 2.4/3,108,000 (-279,000)

5.(3) GH: Friday: 2.4/3,098,000 (-357,000)

6.(7) GL: Friday: 2.2/2,955,000 (+35,000)

7.(5) AMC: Friday: 2.4/2,869,000 (-51,000)

SUMMARY: CBS soaps up. ABC soaps down - except for AMC it wasn't as tragic a Friday fall as the previous Friday for the ABC gang.

• Members

I see what you mean KR but this is not one of those excuse weeks-it happens every year. One of the reason it may have maintained last year is because all 3 days probably counted. When you have 3 days counted, it balances things out and gives a show some room for a bad day. Plus, the 4th landed on a Tuesday this year making Monday and Wednesday days that some people may have had off. No matter how good the writing-if people are out or if its a holiday it does not gurantee people will watch, especially Days and Passions which have a shitload of young viewers.

Alsp, remember too that those that stayed around the house may have not even known Days and Passions were on. Some on this very board confessed to confusion over the preemption thing.

I know Days fans like me always make up excuses but not this time. There are plenty of factors why this happens every year and moreson this year with the way the holiday fell and what not. Just because a show is well-written or has alot going on does not mean people will flock to the screens during one of the busiest vacation weeks of the year.

Look at ATWT. It was amazing and very well-written last week but did it go up in HH? Nope. It had some decent daily numbers but for what it was it should have went up in HH but failed too. You have to know when to plan your big events and this week wasn't a good week for any show to do anything big considering how the holiday fell, especially Days and Passions having only 3 days. Like I said, it's pretty damn impressive that Days did not hit another record low and only fell to a 2.3 and still did good in demos. That is amazing if you ask me considering they only counted one day (thank God for that since they would have been much lower). If Days does not recover next week (and I am expecting at least 2.5 or higher) then I won't make excuses or spin anything because there will be no way too.

The problem is between golf in June and tennis in July, NBC screw around with it's soaps too much. Who knows how the ratings would be if the last 6 weeks had not had two events that screwed around with the schedule. The golf totally messed up numbers for Steve and Kayla's first week and now tennis stalled Days momentum a bit after two great ratings weeks.

I guess we are on two different sides of this KR-I see what you mean about making excuses but this drop is hardly a surprise based on everything so that is my point. :)

• Members

I'm still confused as to how you can use the holidays as an excuse when every soap went up on Monday except for Days. And even though it did go up Tuesday, it was still lower than it's all time low. If anything more people would have been watching because they were off and most people don't travel out of town for the Fourth anyway especially if it's a weekday.

Archived