I could lose my job

Ryan

• Members

How would you feel if you worked your ass off for the past year plus and do many good things, only to learn that you could possibly lose your job b/c someone else got layed off. Well....it sucks. I'll tell you that. Basically, here's the thing. I work for City Hall and they are in the process of laying off the entire welfare department (they are merging City Welfare with the County). One woman, due to senority, has the right to bump me from my current position, adding me to the unemployment line. That is so FREAKIN unfair. I wasn't in her department. Just b/c she lost her job doesn't mean that I should lose mine. This is part of the letter I got:

First of all....how is it that I receive this letter THE DAY BEFORE FREAKIN JUNE 1ST!!!!!?????!?!?!?!? Anyways....

The next two pages are a bunch of blah blah blah telling me what I can do if I want to appeal this. They tell me that I don't have any demotional rights, however, I have seniority over about 30 people in my department due to them being hired in Jan of this year (I was hired in February of 05). This is BS....total BS.......

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sadly it happens a LOT here. They want you OUT OF THE BUILDING just in case you decide to sabotage something in retaliation. Real nice, huh? So much for them believing you were trustworthy enough to work your ass off for them before. They pay out the two weeks plus whatever other severance but they don't want you around. I've even seen it happen when people have resigned and given two weeks notice - here's your cheque, have a nice holiday, get your face out of here.

Best of luck Ryan and make sure you get those letters of reference.

• Members

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you....I know that it may not help much.....

I was bumped twice while working for the government (I was the youngest out of a large group of people who was there for more than 15 years)...I was in one position and due to a layoff, I wound up being pushed into a position with less pay; The second time, I was about to get a position only to be told the same day that it was offered that someone that was being let go of their previous position....What's worse is that I had to take three tests for the job, which was required, but she didn't have to....I was ticked...but then three months later, found out she couldn't even do the job, so it wound up being put back on the job board, and signed up for it again and got it.

• Members

Sorry to hear about that Ryan! :( I hope it all works out. Offices such as yours are always letting politics dictate everything. My dad works at the board of education here and the same type of [!@#$%^&*] happens there all the time. Like I daid hopefully everything can work out and I agree what the hell are they doing just informing you the day before? Craziness.

Archived