X-Men 3: The Last Stand

Queen_Nubia

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah. I was more or less focusing on her telepathic power. Which isn't that strong. It's her telekinetic ability which makes her that more dangerous. I see your point. I still think that Charles should be a level 5 just because of the power he has and how he can affect the whole world population within minuets. As i believe Magneto should be a level 5 as well. Just due to the extent his powers go to. Taking iron out of ones blood and mainpulating it is an extreme.

This is true. He was trying to calm her and he was trying to help her and he wanted her to exhibit control over herself and her immense power. I think his last words were "Don't let it control you". He tried to calm her anger and it didn't work.

• Members

I think that must be it. I mean if we think about it even when she was "weaker" like in X-men 1 she always had an easier time (or at least IMO) with her TK than with her telepathy (I believe the same for X-2. She could hardly read Nightcrawlers mind and yet the Professor froze everyone mentally with ease).

Charles has always been stated to be the most powerful Telepath in the world and I think that's true. I don't think she can touch his telepathic abilities. It's her TK that seemed to grow in strength like when she mentally controlled that missile in X-Men 2 and then the water at the end. I think she of course grew telepathically but not that much. As for the Professor? I believe with Cerebro he is a class 5 but on his own probably a very high up class 4 as I would say Magneto and Storm would have to be. Although it's hard to judge so I agree with Skin that maybe this class thing wasn't needed.

Like I mean those are kinda like energy based powers etc etc. But what about non energy based? I wouldn't know how to class Wolverine. He doesn't have THAT type of power, and yet his powers are some of the most powerful around. He's very hard to kill. Then again Callisto probably just came up with that class thing herself anyway LOL.

• Members

for more clarification on the class system, you can check out this Link: It explains things really well. Here are some key excerpts

Based on the definition, Jean is considered one, bc she can control matter on a sub molecular level and she's reached her ultimate potential, capable of bringing about the end, which she nearly does towards the end of the film.

Id have to see the movie again to catch for the line, but according to this it appears that Magneto and Pyro are above a Class 3, which would make them a Class 4 and possibly Xavier unless he was stated as a definite 3.

• Members

According to Calisto's line she said that none of the mutants in the building (referencing to the brotherhood meeting) is above a level 3 with the exception of Magneto. (I don't know if she said Pyro as well). She later said that Jean is a class 5 which is higher then Magneto. So that leaves Magneto at a class 4. Xaiver wasn't stated at a level. So Magneto's army was made up of class 3 or less mutants. With the exception of himself, Pheonix and maybe Pyro. I really forgot if she said Magneto and Pyro or just Magneto.

Thanks to the link. That makes things a whole lot clearer. It seems level 5 is only for those who can bring ultimate destruction to the world. So i guess Magneto, Storm and Xaiver wouldn't qualify. If Magneto is a 4 then so is Charles i would assume. Storm could reak chaos on the world but not destroy it. So she would be at the most class 4. Thou threw out the movie she was getting her butt kicked by Calisto. So she could be a Class 3? It would be great if they explained the level requirements for each one.

I think the class thing just makes things even more difficult and complicated. So if Calisto was beating up Storm does that mean that Storm is only a level 3? If Pyro is a level 4 does that mean Bobby is a level 4 as well for defeating Pyro? Or are levels completly different from levels of strenght and experience?

This just makes me think the Class thing wasn't needed. It just complicates things even further then it should be.

• Members

I think based on powers Storm would be level 4. But sometimes it's not just how much power you have but how you use it LOL. So a level 4 mutant could probably even be beaten up by a level 2 if that mutant used their powers wisely I would imagine. Like Toad. He probably is only a level two but he was also giving Storm a few problems in the first movie. But cleary she was/is more powerful it's just that Toad knew how to wisely use what he had LOL.

• Members

I would say she's variable. It really depends on who she touches. By herself, I would say a 1, possibly a 2. She really doesnt have any special skills or real fighting ability and her effectiveness hinges on the condition that she actually is able to make skin to skin contact

• Members

I agree. Had she absorbed Marvel woman's powers i would of said a 3. But alone i would say she is a 2. Since she is able to kill people and even mutants if she touches them for too long. She has to make contact before her power goes into effect. If she can't do that she is screwed.

• Members

I've always been a big proponant that change can be a good thing. But IMO they botched alot in this movie that was essential.

Hugest of these is what they did with Phoenix. Expecting them to do the complete, Jean's possessed by alien entity Phoenix would have been expecting alot and required the whole movie. I liked the alternate personality take on her. BUT i still expect to see a red-headed woman surrounded by fire flying high ... wreaking death on everyone in her path! Where was the fire?! Where was the flying?! Where was the unrepressed, take what she wanted badass that made everyone love Phoenix? She stood there for the whole movie, more repressed as Phoenix than as Jean Grey. And her ending ... it just wasn't the big moving moment it should have been. The book's ending was so moving. Jean should have still comitted suicide.

Aside from that, there was alot of necessary character development required when you tell a story as personal as the one they chose, a Cure, that was not touched. I expect for when Rogue does what she does to see her motivations. We had a quicky scene of her annoyed that she can't touch Bobby, then she sees him skating with Kitty Pryde and off she goes for the cure. I can count Anna Paquin's scenes on one hand in this movie, and considering she was one of the major stars of this trilogy it's inexcusable. She was our introduction into the X-Men, and barely gets an ending.

and speaking of Kitty Pryde ... yeah, a typical comic movie character development is not a big thing - but what about character establishment? She is just ... there. Kinda flurting with Bobby We're expected to care about her. And same goes for Colossus.

We had alot of mutant additions with barely any screen time. Not enough Angel!

now that I have all that off my chest ... I did really enjoy the movie. It was very exciting, great stunts, effects, and performances from all the actors involved. Brett Ratner did a great job. But, Bryan Singer brought more to the table in terms of the story and character that was lacking in this film.

it doesn't. Going by the story of X1 and X2, it was the cerebro contact that brought out Jean's teak abilities and her showing indications of Phoenix in X2. She was completely Jean when she was using those Phoenix powers.

putting this silly class system aside ...

I don't think it matters how powerful you are, if you're in a physical fight and you have the ability to throw someone, and catch them before they hit the ground and smack them down again, you'll definitely win over someone who controls the weather. Those fights were pretty damn hot ... btw!

• Members

someone remind me where we saw Psylocke in the movie?

She wasn't the manly looking chick with the shockwaves was she? (I dont recal that being one of her powers)

That was the only standout mutant-extra for me of which they never named in the film.

Archived