X-Men 3: The Last Stand

Queen_Nubia

• Members

I actually liked the way the Phoneix story was handled. They made Phoneix into an alternate personality rather then having it a space/cosmos creature. Which i felt was good because the X-Men don't need to redo the entire phenoix saga and it worked well with the last movie. Plus I don't think they should be in space yet.

The Phoniex stuff was heavy and i thought they did a good job showing the deep contrast from Jean to Pheonix. Pheonix was dangerous and destructive and she was soo power that she was able to kill everyone and everything and her body took a toll each time she used her maximum power. Jean was too strong for her own good. Which was why Pheonix was locked away.

They blended it well. It didn't consume the whole movie but it was a big enough part that you noticed it. It was a main part of the story along with the cure. At times even more so then the cure.

I'm hoping that Cyclops death wasn't shown because they will try to bring him back. I really don't know why they had to kill of Jean yet again. I thought it was overkill in this one since she died in the last movie as well.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

IA. I hated the alternate personality stuff. There was really little trace of Jean. There was no good transition. I was hoping for Jean to be the hero. After the second movie, I was hoping that she'd come back as Dark Phoenix but here was a bigger threat which would cause her to control herself as Phoenix and save the day. I knew that wasnt going to happen while watching the movie, but I wish they didnt change her so drastically. Like you said in a previous post, I also hated that she was behind Magneto. She should have been independent and the one to take control from him. She stood by too quiet in the final battle and wish she had done some more

• Members

Well to be fair. She was good pheonix. When she sacrificed herself for the good of the team she was good phoneix and exhibited pheonix's power. When she was ressurected she turned into evil pheonix because Jean lost control of her alternate persona. In X2 they showed her combining pheonix with herself and using there powers as one. In X3 they showed that Jean weakened and lost control.

I personally liked it i thought it was different and a unique and dare I say better for the movie for it to happen like it did. I couldn't see them doing an out of space story like in the comics or in the animated version. I think it was better that Jean manifest it herself.

Jean lost control because the mental blocks fell threw. Pheonix was severly stronger then her and she couldn't break out. It seemed like only Logan and Scott could get threw to her.

• Members

they didnt have to throw space into the equation and there was no way of doing that without getting all complicated. They had perfect set up in X2 with Jean's powers intensifying. In other versions, she first becomes Phoenix after nearly dying in space. Here, it was just a natural evolution of her powers and was perfect. How they handled her dark side though fell flat. There was absolutely NO character development for her. All I got was that she was insane. I got no motives behind her actions or what made her tick. Did she crave power? Was she pissed off at the world? Was she fascinated with her new abilities? Was she turned on by killing? The movie never dug into any of this and this is where it feel flat. She was not a character but simply a weapon. All she did in the movie was be crazy, which is a shame bc she's one of the most dynamic characters. She had no depth and so much more could have and should have been done with her

• Members

I disagree. I think the movie showed that she resented Charles for locking her away. She hated oppression and she hated that she was locked away and that she couldn't be free. She very much did love danger and was a thrill seeker. She was very attracted to Logan which was done to show that Jean did find Logan attracted and she did want him. But that was an impulse and that was something she felt she couldn't do. Phoniex is an uninhibited darker Jean. A part of her that was surpressed due to charles. She was a very primal and angry being. That part of Jean that was soo powerful that even she couldn't control. I think they showed that with her going back to her home. She felt that Charles violated her and held her back. Then Charles saying "don't let it control you"

She was uninhibited. They focused more on the anger and hatred for Charles and later on of the people who tried to take her power away. I think those were her main motivations in the film. I think they showed it well.

Her motives were that she hated Charles for what he did to her, then she hated that they're were mutant oppresors that felt she was to strong and were going to do what they had to to take her power away. (The same thing Charles did in essence) Which was something that fed into the cure storyline.

• Members

If she resented Charles so much for keeping her locked away, why would she align herself with the Brotherhood? After all, Phoenix is no dummy, so she sure as hell would've seen that Magneto was trying to exert some control over her as well. Comic book and cartoon Phoenix saw that in the conflict between the Hellfire Club and X-Men, why did she just automatically believe Magneto?

• Members

I don't think she believed Magneto. She even told Magneto that he sounded like Charles. She just saw this war as a chance to destroy something that threatened her power and threatened might supress her power and control over her body. She is an alternate personality and i'm sure she wouldn't have liked that her powers were being taken away from her. She liked her power and she wanted to keep it. Which was way she aligned herself on the brotherhood and made sure that she would have her power and that no one would take it away from her.

Magneto said that they would try to do that to her (try and take her power away from her and make her mortal) and she didn't want that. Which was why she battled with them to destroy the boy who held the cure. I don't think it was out of alliance. It was more a mutual thing they wanted so she fought with them.

• Members

The professor is probably a class 4. True he could do that with his mind but only with the aid of Cerebro and Cerebro ampliefies telepathic abilities so it wasn't all him VS it all being Jean. I def believe that Storm, Magneto, Professor have to be at least class 4. They are very powerful. Even Pyro and Iceman I believe should at least be upper three and they haven't even fully reached their potential yet (loved when Bobby did a full Iceman change).

But wow Skin we actually agree with a lot for the most part. I didn't know that was possible ;)

In any case I loved, loved, LOVED this movie. OMG it was the best of the three to me. This one actually let the actors act. I mean I loved one and two as well but this one had it all for me. I loved Storm and Wolverine breaking down over the Professor. Everyone heartbroken over the Professor's loss including even Magneto and Storm's speech, the emotional showdown with Logan and Jean at the end, and the way they got Storm to assume leadership of the team (I was wondering if it would ever happen and so pleased it did. I also thought Halle rocked). The actress who plays Jean did a fantastic job as well I thought. As did the Cyclops actor for the brief time he was on.

I liked when Pyro bombed the building which obviously was a parallel to when people bomb abortion clinics. Where for some it's the right decision (Rogue) but for others they rather not go down that road as tempting as it is (Beast). I didn't expect this to be based on every event from the comics but rather in what would have happened in the movie X-universe. I actually liked how they worked the Phoenix in because I was wondering how it would happen. I didn't want to see Aliens and such. I think that would have been to much.

I also loved how Mystique got the last laugh with Magneto. I love him but wow he turned on her so fast haha but judging by the ending looks like she wont be one of "them" for to long. Like I said overall this is the best X-Men movie for me. I loved that this one actually let the actors use some range. The only things I disliked was they killed Cyclops so fast (but then again no body = probably no death) but I heard the actor was shooting the Superman movie as well so I assume that's why he wasn't in long. The other thing was I didn't like that Psylocke was bad. I think seeing her Psi-blades would have been awesome as well. They chose to use a power that wasn't even a mutant one but one she aquired magically at one point. Hopefully she's not dead, being a telepath she could have did exactly what the Professor did. I would LOL if she ended up in the body of a British woman. It would be a little backwards but still cool.

Again LOVED this movie :)

• Members

True but then if Jean was soo strong why did she have such difficulty activing cerebro in the first movie? You would think a class 5 would be able to handle it. It seems like only Charles is able to handle Cerebro's power and he is the only one that seems to control it. Jean was practically shaking from using it to find Rouge. She supposedly had this power from when she was 7-9 years old and was able to control everything around her neighborhood. Yet she was on the floor in a fetal position gasping in pain just after using Cerebro for a few seconds? and she is supposed to be stronger then Charles when he uses that thing daily and is never exhausted from searching the entire earth for hundrerds maybe thousands of mutants? The whole classes for mutants i felt wasn't needed. They already showed that Jean was immensly strong they didn't have to classify all of them into numbers and ranks. Especially since it didn't go with the previous prequels. I felt that that was a continuity error on there part.

Charles is an easy 5. Just due to the power of his telepathic abilities. Charles was able to stand Cerebro and does it with ease. While Jean could barely do it and even if she did have mental blocks controling Pheonix and her powers. Cerebro is supposed to amplify pyschic abilites. So Jean should have been able to use Cerebro and not almost croak lol. I think that brought the story down. It doesn't make sense given the previous stories.

I agree Famke and James sold there material. They were amazing in there respective parts. Too bad James had to film Superman. He was breaking my heart with his mourning scenes. Then when it all came to a head at the lake. :(

I'm glad we got to see Rebecca out of that blue make up. She was goregeous and i loved her jet black hair. I thought it was sad when Magneto abandoned her. While she was on the floor he couldn't even help her up jerk!

I actually wanted the cure to stick atleast for Rouge. She deserves to have a normal life and to find happiness. Her power is soo unfair. She can't even touch anyone. It would be nice if she could be happy for awhile and that now she took the cure she can be able to be normal and have a life she has always wanted without having to worry about accidently killing someone.

• Members

I think she is in it less. She has less airtime but they show her in heavy blocks for the first half hour of the movie then she is barely seen with the exception of one scene in the middle of the movie.

• Members
I think your confusing Jean from X1 with Jean in X3. Jean was NOT at her full potential in the first movie. She was portrayed as very weak there, weaker than she was in the books. Her powers started to grow in the second one and no there's no question about how powerful she is in this one. In the first film, she had trouble barely levitatingToad, but look at what she did with the tidal wave towards the end of X2? Her powers were obviously evolving and reached the next level in X3.

Charles is only a telepath. He manipulates minds. Jean is a telepath and telekinetic. She can manipulate atoms. She was disintegrating people just by thinking about that. Charles does not have that much power. Jean has more raw power and energy than anyone from any of the films. She was using all her power for the first time and she kicked ass. Just imagine how much more powerful she would be with more time and experience. She was portrayed as pretty strong here, but she's a whole lot more powerful than that.

Charles obviously cant be placed in the same class as her. We saw him go head to head with her and look what happened. It wasnt even a fair match up. If he was as powerful as she was, his powers should have been able to contain her but he couldnt

• Members

Well i'm not really comparing all of the movies seperately. I'm just looking at all three movies. In X1 she wasn't nearly as strong as she was here. No doubt about that. Yet if she was a class 5 mutant all along (according to the movie she was very strong at a young age. Jean had trouble lifting up one card in X1 yet she was able to pick up the entire neighborhood when she was younger).

If Cerebro enhances telepathic abilities and powers of psychics ect. then Jean should have been able to use Cerebro with ease. Since she had that incrediable power underneath. Cerebro would only enhance those powers. Yet Jean nearly killed over when she tried using Cerebro.

It just doesn't make sense. Even with Jean's power surpressed by Charles mental blocks it wouldn't be able to counter Cerebro's enhancing abilities for all psychics.

Charles is one of the most power telepaths around and he could easily kill every mutant, human and living thing on this planet including Jean/Phoenix (we were told this in the second movie) even when Jean was channeling Pheonix she felt the pain Charles was inflicting on her when Charles was in the Stryker Cerebro room.

That's why it just doesn't make sense. Charles power has been shown. Yet Jean is supposedly the only mutant in the class 5? It doesn't make sense. Just do to the other movies previous to this one. They have shown Charles power and it just seemed odd that all the sudden Phoenix is the only level 5 mutant. Even thou Charles was killing her (when she was in Pheonix phase) in the second movie. Yet she was unable to use Cerebro's powers in any real beneifical way. This from a machine that enhances psychics abilities.

• Members

you're not taking her telekinesis into account though. I dont think its the telepathy that elevates her to a higher class that Xavier. Its her telekensis. She is capable of vast amounts of damage with that. She was ready to destroy that whole island. She didnt get that far, bc for the movie's sake, she needed to be contained to that one island but if true to the character, could destroy entire star systems. Her telepathy and how she handled Cerebro has little to do with how powerful she is bc really she wasnt really exhibiting that power in this movie except when she made contact with Scott and Xavier from far away. She was portayed as a mutant with an incredible amount of uncontained telekinetic power. If you just focus on that and compare her to any of the other mutants, whether it be Xavier or Magneto, they simply are not on the same level. And being a class 3 mutant doesnt make one weak. It's pretty powerful!

Archived