X-Men 3: The Last Stand

Queen_Nubia

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The film had it's moments. However, the screenplay writer? Needs to be shot.

*SPOILERS*

They tried way too hard to fit every mutant they could in. Who should have gotten story that didn't? Angel. The way they promoted him and the way they introduced him made it seem like they'd have more to say, especially given his father developed "the cure". Scott. What the hell? Cyclops better be alive somewhere; that's all I'm saying. Otherwise, I am majorly pissed off. And I'd be less pissed off if this were definitely the last movie.

Who got too much story? Kitty/Bobby/Rogue. Seriously. Who cared about that story? The most poignant thing about that high school was that Rogue got the cure, which seemingly doesn't actually work, so she could feel good about herself, not just so she could be better for Bobby. There were great moments for some of these characters individually. Bobby/John rivalry? That needed more, more, more. It was delicious. And I'm talking about the character stuff, forgety the hot stuff actors.

Who got the right amount of airtime? Jean [!@#$%^&*] Grey. They rewrote the story, but it was an interesting element. However, they made her struggle too internal. Famke did what she could with it, and she rocked the house, but very few performances really stand out. The best scene of the film goes to her and Stewart at the house, seconded by the final conmfrontation between her and Jackman's character. I'm on the fence on the whole keeping Jean hidden from herself. It was an interesting development, no doubt. What gets me is critics made it seem like she had a bit, side role. Um. What movie did you see? The relationships of Jean's character saved a lot of the story, as did the performances. STORM! Finally, Storm was what Storm had needed to be. Storm was always second only to Scott as far as leaders went. Wolverine, always the screentime hog, never the leader. Jackman delivered great stuff, as usual. Dr. HANK McCOY! Kelsey Grammar rocked my world. I loved, loved, loved the political stuff with his involvement.

The end, with Erik moving the chess piece? Genius interlude for a new film, but I daresay they shouldn't. This was one franchise that had everything going for it. This movie lost a lot of that. It was an overall great film, but as an X-Men fan, there was a lot that was hard to take, and as movie goer, there was too much to look forward to from the characters introduced that it couldn't help, but disappoint. I won't spoil the after credits ending, of course.

• Members

I hated this movie, both as a fan of the movie series and especially as a comic book series.

They completely blew the chance to truly tell the epic tale that is the Pheonix Saga. It was probably THE best in X-Men story history and involved such a wide array of characters, and what do they do? THEY BLOw IT just to cram as many characters as possible in the shortest X-Men yet. There was absolutely no character driven moments, and characters like Archangel and Rogue were woefully underused. Seriously, what was the point of having Angel in it at all? Same goes for Colossus, Mystique and Cyclops!

Bryan Singer cared about the series and tried to be faithful to it and its fans, and he succeeded, especially in X2. Brett Ratner obviously has no balls otherwise he would have fought the studio on some of the glaring atrocities in the script, namely one moment that still repulses me even now, no matter how many "secret" scenes try to take it back.

I give it a 4/10, and the only reason it got such a high score is that Storm was actually featured more. Even with that, though, this movie has made me lose respect for what was once, to me, a great film series.

• Members

I think asking for character development and all that is just asking too much of a comic book/action movie. :lol: Like I said, if you don't let go of the idea of them making a re-make of the comic, then you're going to hate these movies.

S P O I L E R S ! ! ! ! ! !

I was SHOCKED that Xavier and Cyclops died as early as they did! Wow! That's what I like about the movies, in the end. It's kind of a parellel universe for X-Men.

• Members

The problem is that while certain stories had to be changed in X1 and X2, Singer actually did pull of strong character development even when the characters weren't on that long. Ratner and co. just bombed in that aspect, and I think that's more important than all the action.

Spiderman

Star Wars III

Shrek 2

• Administrator

Just saw it tonight and I thought it was really good! Was it better than X2? I don't know....I'll have to watch X2 again.

Things I loved:

- Jean/Phoenix and Logan! The almost having sex scene was hot!! And then at the end: "You would die for them?" / "Not for them. For you. For you. I love you." Famke and Hugh rock together! Love their chemistry.

- The best scene out of the 3 movies: Magneto ripping out the GGB and making it float to Alcatrez. That was so amazing.

- Kitty Pride/Ellen Page......that girl is cute!!! :wub:

- Seeing Magneto and Charles 20 years younger. Great special effects, I hear that's how they're gonna do the Magneto prequel.

- The scene where Phoenix "kills" Professor X.........talk about intense and emotional.

- Kesley Grammar as Beast

- "Don't you know who I am? I'm Juggernaut, BITCH!" :lol:

- Funniest scene was when Wolverine kicked the mutant in the balls and said, "Try growing back a pair of those!" The theatre erupted in laughter. :lol: I love Wolverine!

- Magneto moving the chess piece

Things I didn't like:

- What was the point of Angel? He didn't even fight. I didn't think he was necessary. Maybe show him more in X4.

- Professor X dying......until the scene after credits which made me smile. lol

- The bald kid.......I didn't get that part. How come the mutants couldn't use their powers around him and how did the gov't find him? Why did Magneto want him?

- Mystique being cured and only being in 1/4 of the film.

- Didn't really like Magneto's crew this time around. Only liked Pyro and Juggernaut.

- Wish we saw more of the Phoenix

- The movie was too short!! This was suppose to be a huge film and it was only 103 minutes???? It had to be at least 2 hours. :angry::(

Okay so what kind of story do we ant for X4 and what new characters should they bring in? I would love to see: Gambit, Mr. Sinister, the Sentinals, Apocalypse. I think there needs to be new big bad villain in X4.

Also, I can't wait for the Magneto and Wolverine prequels - my two favorites. :)

As for Bryan Singer, I doubt he'll be working for FOX again (he and Fox Studio Head Tom Rothman don't get along) since they basically threw him out of the FOX Studios when he was there checking up on his tv show, "House M.D."

• Members

My understanding of it is that the boy was a mutant himself, and his power was that he could curb the power of all other mutants when he is in close proximity of them. So, the government somehow got his mutant DNA and were able to make a cure for the mutant gene. And Magneto wanted to get the boy out of the government's hands and destroy the lab/island so they can stop making the cure, or he wanted to kill him, for the same reason. Did the mutant in Magneto's brotherhood with the lip ring say he was a Class 5? I can't remember.

That's how I understood it to be, anyway.

• Members

I agree totally, Toups. The next film needs to be about one of the bigger villains. We've gone through a few of the big story arcs. Introduction, Wolverine's past/anti-Mutant movement, the cure/Phoenix saga, and next we need to see Apocalypse and the four riders, IMO. Seeing as the cure probably isn't permanent, this could bring Raven/Mystique back if they do it right.

Archived