My Weekend in Louisville, KY

Shawn

• Members

As a lot of you might have known, I went to Louisville, KY last Thursday to attend the Kentucky Derby with some friends. It was a blast!

We got in Thursday night and arrived at our hotel, the Millenium. We stayed in nearby Cincinatti, OH because we didn't want to deal with the nightmare that is the Derby traffic. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Cincinatti, as it was absolutely beautiful. We didn't do much that night since we were beat from the move, so we grabbed some food and hit the hay.

Friday we went sightseeing. We did the usual museum/shopping voyage and found out just how beautiful Cincinatti is. So clean. Gorgeous really. They have a Macy's right near the hotel, and let me tell you, its a good reason to keep going back and fillling up more shopping bags. :lol: That night we went to nearby Kentucky and hit a great restaurant on a boat. I believe it was the Waterfront Grill. The views were out of this world, and the food was incredible. Again, highly recommended.

Saturday was the big day. We got up really early and hit the road. Louisville is about an hour and a half drive from where we were. Leave it to my friend to get pulled over for speeding on the way. Thirty minutes and one speeding ticket later, we were back on the road and we finally managed to hit Louisville. Even two hours early, the parking was a nightmare. We ended up a mile from Churchill Downs, and walked in the blistering heat. Words can describe how beautiful the horse track was. You'd have to see it to truly appreciate it. There was about 160,000 people in total there, and most were drunk on the official derby drink, Mint Julep, including yours truly. The races lasted all day, and I won 200.00 bucks on the winning derby horse, Barbaro. I was a happy drunk that day :D

Eight hours after sitting at the Downs, we headed back to our car and found the parking lot full of intoxicated assholes. It was Spring Break, Kentucky style. We sat in line for hour and a half waiting to get onto the main road, and by the time we got back to the hotel, we couldn't even talk. Sleep was our friend.

Sunday we did more sightseeing and got tickets to the Playground in the Park to see Witness for the Prosecution by Agatha Christie. Its cool to note that the theatre won Best Regional Theatre at the 2004 Tony Awards, and they had the award on display. The play was phenomenal. After, we decided to hit White Castle and head back to sleep.

This morning we got up mad early to hit the airport. Once there, the plane was delayed. UGH. But, while waiting for the plane, I got a call from a potential job based in NYC. He told me I got the job and to stop by the office to pick up the paperwork when I landed in NY. I am now offically an assistant to the president of Levi Strauss signature, and I now have the task of finding an apartment in NYC before my starting date of June 3. Stressful? You bet your ass. But its so worth it.

We landed in LaGuardia and I went to pick up the paperwork. Soon after, I hopped a train to come home and when I arrived back into town I hit the college to take my math final. Needless to say, I'm exhausted. But it was has been one of the most rewarding weekends that I can remember.

Can you say celebrate out at the bars this weekend in my future home of NYC? You bet that I can. ;)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for sharing, I have heard the Kentucky Derby is SO much better in person and it is hard to actually to describe how gorgeous the scenery is unitl you actually experience for yourslef.

Archived