ALL: Convenient Couples

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Way back in the 1996 - 2003 era, Roman and Kate's eventual romance made sense because it had a long, long buildup and tension between Kate and Sami and Sami/Marlena/Roman/John. 

The marriage this time around is pure convenience to give both characters an anchor on the canvas. Their episode guarantees have clearly been slashed and this was the writing team's way of giving them a 'happily ever after.'

It's what made Y&R so great and different. Many characters were islands unto themselves and each storyline stood on its own. That's changed quite a bit in the last 20 years, but prior to that you had a ton of characters who ostensibly never knew each other.

• Members

I'm still confused at Buzz and Olivia on GL, although maybe they weren't that bad, I don't know.

Brooke and Dimitri on AMC (the first time around), although I thought Nader and Julia Barr had chemistry.

Emmerdale is full of these types of couples, to the point where it's a joke to a lot of fans. 

Kevin and Laura on GH.

• Members

Guiding Light

Sara and Adam. 

Both had been on the show for years and their marriage seemed a convenient way to give them some airtime and presence on the show. Adam only functioned as Roger's dad and Roger was gone. Sara had been through 3 marriages and had  her son TJ and that was it. Sara could at least be used  as a doctor.

The pairing seemed pretty random.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Whoah when did Ashley & Paul/Neil happen?!!! I'm guessing the 2010s?

Speaking of Paul Im mad they didn't let him and Nikki be together in 2009. Instead they sent her pining after Victor again despite them finally writing her as an independent woman. 

Edited by Planet Soap

• Members

Vanessa and Alan, GL---sweet baby Jesus, Alan was only ever interested in Vanessa for her Chamberlain stock, she'd stood on the sidelines watching his parade of broken marriages and mistresses for years...but suddenly (after her 1st marriage to Billy tanks and a fling with Ross doesn't work), she's fine with the idea of being a trophy wife while Alan grooms his next mistress, Reva. I mean, it's obviously just a speed bump to Reva/Alan, but I really do thank God Vanessa got sent to Venezuela.

Reva and almost everyone other than Josh--her dip into HB's bed is particularly disturbing.

Carly/Holden and Jack/Katie, ATWT---my blood pressure spikes even typing that out. 

• Members

AW:

Grant & Amanda

Morgan & Brett

Josie & Ian

Matt & Sophia

Dennis & Marley

The show seemed perfectly happy to park a good portion of the cast in pointless pairings to wait out the end of their contracts in the early/mid 90s.

• Members

AW

Brian Bancroft.

For some reason Paul Stevens (Brian) escaped the ax at a time when AW were cutting actors left and tight. So he became the go to male half for various characters

Pat & Brian

Olivia & Brian

Elena & Brian

Donna & Brian

• Members

For some reason John/Kate made sense to me in the moment.  Obviously it was convenient since both Roman and Marlena "died", but it worked well with John's drug addiction and the Sami/Lucas and Belle/Phillip antics at the time.  Lauren and Drake had some chemistry as well.  I know the entire pairing was extremely unpopular with the John/Marlena fans though.