ALL: BAD WRITING Moments

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

That's where we differ! I loved SuBe! It wasn't without flaw, no soap is but, I thought was a good modern soap. The earthquake is still probably the best one I have ever seen on a soap. PASSIONS really had no redeeming qualities and was so inconsistent. We also NEVER go payoff! Not to mention that they dropped stories left and right losing their own mythology.

• Members

Seriously! All that BS about "fated couples" and "true love" yet none of that ended up happening aside from Ethan/Theresa which by that point was tired as hell. They also never recognized that Theresa was really a conniving and manipulative bitch! Honestly, up until the scene where Gwen ignores the rape, I was team Gwen!

• Members
Posted (edited)

Every week, I would read previews and such for the show; and every week, my reaction would be the same: "If this [!@#$%^&*] is bad on paper, I can only imagine how it's playing out on screen!"

I tried watching PASSIONS from the beginning, but I bailed fairly quickly, because it was clear that the show was nothing more than JER run amok.  NBCD literally handed that man a briefcase full of cash to inflict his issues on the American public; and for that, I'll never forgive them.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I remember watching Passions when I was 10 or 11... and loving it... Nearly 20 years later... when I tried to watch it... I was... speechless of how NOT my cup of tea it was... I just couldn't bear how infantile and childish everything was. I just couldn't. But I know it has a cult following and lots of people love it. So I just say... no my cup of tea. Some of the acting was also cringey-cringe. 

• Members

James Reilly created Passions for the middle schoolers and high schoolers that were too young to watch his run on Days. Notice the NBC run was 8 years. A 12 year old in 1999 would be 20 in 2007, so the NBC run covers their whole teen years.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Which was dumb, because what 12-year-old controls their household's finances?  And if 12-year-olds do, in fact, determine which purchases are made for the rest of the family, no wonder this country is in so much trouble, lol.

I know TPTB argued, "Well, if we get them at 12-17 years old, they'll be fans forever," but the problem there is what happens when they DO get older?  Are you still going to tailor your writing to the 12-17 year olds and ignore those who have "aged out"?  Or are you going to acknowledge that your original fans have grown up and, in fact, require more sophisticated writing (which means you are, in fact, no longer writing for 12-17 year olds)?

PASSIONS just needed to do what every other, new soap has done: write for a general (meaning: adult) audience and hope that future generations of fans will grow through those who were/are first exposed to the show through their mothers, grandmothers, etc.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I watched the first episode of Passions to see what it was going to be like and my reaction was "this show is made for the kids and its done in three months". NBC kept it for 8 years.

• Members

B&B's problem is the same problem Bill Bell probably had with Y&R before he chose to phase out the original families and refocus the show.  In both situation, you have a core group of characters who have been depleted by years of constant, front-burner storylines and questionable recasts.  If Bradley were anything like his dad, he'd recognize that the time is now to revamp the show from top to bottom.

• Members

It's Brad's obsession with keeping characters around that have outlived any purpose they had: Sheila, Liam, Bill for example. It's backstage politics period. If KB weren't besties with Brad, Casey, KKL, and if they didn't like SC, their character's would be gone.

It's what's killing this show, one reason at least 

Also Brad getting rid of a popular character like Taylor and instead of doing Tridge, which are very popular, he sticks with Bridge, whom I haven't seen a lot of support for

It's all Brad's agenda period