ALL: BAD WRITING Moments

• Members

We already have a topic about bad acting scenes and moments and great ones too. I want to start another one where we can showcase moments where THE WRITING was absurdly bad. There are a lot of scenes where actors are doing a great job, but the words... the actions that have been written in the script... are god AWFUL and don't make any sense.

I am starting it with something recent, which really bugged me.

Deacon pouring blue liquid from a random old bottle found lying around in a pile of trash IN AN ABANDONED building where Sheila has been left to die. Who in their right mind will pour a mysterious looking SPORT DRINK liquid in the mouth of someone who is struggling or ill. A decent writer would have had them call the ambulance ASAP and not just look around the pile of garbage to find something HYDRATING. Disgusting... Such horrible stupid writing.

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The Bill Bell years IMO are mostly forgettable although it was solid, just found it uninteresting.  And I couldn't get passed some of the terrible acting which early Y&R never had.  Ridge and Thorne (just the names alone were laughable) and the "actors' oh my...agains SF and JMc...bad.

• Members

Bill Bell's Bold was amazing. 1987 TO 1993 had some of the best written moments and scenes in soaps history. But different strokes for different folks. There are people who like the current era Bold - proves we can't all be the same.

I would love if you guys can go into some detail. I am interested to see what you are basing your opinion on. Scenes, storylines, anything. Not only about Bold, but any show - I love to find these bad writing moments and see for myself, laugh or cringe.

• Members

Every soap has had its bad writing moments. As much as we hound we hound Thudley and Josh Griffith these days, nothing yet has been as bad as the Maryanne Caruthers storyline on GL, which upended 67 years of GL history for some very, very ridiculous mystery plot. January 5, 2004 was for me the darkest day in GL history.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

@VelekaCarruthers B&B was pretty good up until 2002, more specifically 87-93 and 98-02, IMO.

Pretty much every GH RETCON since 2012 has been shotty writing. 

B&B Justin tries to overtake Spencer publications. This would have fueled stories for years just like Brooke taking 51% of Forrester did. But instead it was over in two minutes. This was also a perfect opportunity to showcase a strong black villain which I'm not sure Bold has ever had.

• Members

I thought the SAME EXACT THING at the time. That story could have been amazing. It should have played out in beats over a year with Justin eventually taking over the company AND marrying Katie while Bill sat in jail. Then, once Bill got out of jail, the fireworks would have been fantastic. Instead, it all got wrapped up in one episode, and we never saw Justin again.

B&B just can not write for black characters long-term (or any sort of minority). They really had the chance at something with the Avants and let it disappear.

I think the early B&B years with Bill Bell writing wasn't the most earth shattering, but I agree it was well-written solid soap. A bit slow, of course, but the 30 minute format worked well with that at the time. It's hard to top Sally Spectra and her introduction which really made the show click IMO. Early Brooke/Stephanie as was Caroline. If only the show now was a fraction of that well-written.

As someone mentioned Lumina on AW...HORRIBLE. Remember Amanda and the secret garden? I assume they got a mandate to make the show more DAYS like, but that was never what AW was meant to be. The show shined when it focused on friendships, IMO.

But, I'm not sure anything can top Erica's "unabortion" on AMC. Who the hell approved that????

Edited by 1974mdp