BREAKING NEWS: 'The Gates' Will Debut in January 2025

• Members

I'm not blaming you. It's entirely likely she hires him lol. But I really don't care either way about that right now.

Looking at people posting about Generations on social media today because of this, it reminds me that it's a shame Kristoff St. John isn't here for this.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I wonder if it's possible Mishel Morgan could be considered as one of the younger leads for this - given her popularity with the CBS Daytime audience already and fresh after her Emmy win last year as the first black woman to win Lead Actress. 

• Members

I'm not worried about the write-up saying it will focus only on rich people in a gated community - because you can't have the haves without the have-nots. There has to be some type of dimension or inherent balance for the overall narrative to work. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

Amazing news. Astonishing. Miraculous. Thanks @Vee for tagging me.

I almost don't even want to believe it's true, because I don't want to get my hopes up. I can tell myself that at least they are considering a new soap, which is, I believe, the first time that's even been a possibility since Passions was created - almost 25 years! There have been trends leading here, especially the shift away from younger viewers being seen as the ideal, and presumably costs have come down enough to make a soap more viable, but I still never thought it would happen. 

I never hear anything about LMAD or TPiR (and that show used to be iconic to many), and The Talk you only hear about when people are leaving it, so if they want to have a soap that would be made at a good cost and potentially get more buzz, it might make sense. 

I've said on here before that the conversation I would see on Twitter about GH's Trina/Sprina and her family felt so organic, and so different from the weary, deeply cynical way we often have to deal with soaps in the last few decades. If someone sees that and decides to tap into the black audiences who were treated so cavalierly and disrespectfully by daytime in perpetual chasing of viewers who did not and would not ever care, it's long overdue.

I always thought that P&G's efforts at integrating a number of their soaps, while not all they could have been, never got enough attention. It feels right if they finally take the steps they should have taken in more diversity as a mainstay. And I've always thought if basic care had been taken, GL and ATWT would still be on the air today. It feels right if a P&G soap is what rises from the ashes. I was and will always be a P&G boy, and I miss my P&G soaps every single day.

I guess we'll see what happens. I do have a lot of respect for Michele Val Jean and I'm sure she will do whatever she can.

I remember that somewhat ghoulish Entertainment Weekly article on the death of soaps, circa 2012 or so, with a drawing of a graveyard of soaps. They truly were on the brink of death at that time, and in many ways still are, but still, it leaves me satisfied that a decade later, we're still plugging, possibly one more on the way, as EW is barely hanging on as a horribly designed website coughing up the same gossip regurgitated from ten other places.

Edited by DRW50

• Administrator

Totally agreed, especially with how she really wasn't given a fair chance at GH.  I hate to be a bit pessimistic but she's going to be getting notes from three different branches (CBS, P&G, NAACP), which could become a "too many cooks in the kitchen" situation.  I hope not though and MVJ will get a chance to write her vision. 

• Members

I know this answer will vary but what is typically the time span of a new being announced and when it airs? Again I know either way it’s far off but just wondering if anyone remembers.