GH: March 2024 Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Posted (edited)

Then the beef would be from 1998 and I'd have to watch this guy do a bad accent. And the beef would be petty over losing a woman.

This hits different because of the content being candidly addressed in 2024 in a way it hasn't seriously been in many years, and because it's from a character who has been gone forever. Sonny is who he is, he hasn't changed enough and people should say it.

Edited by Vee

• Members
Posted (edited)

re: content being candidly addressed in 2024 in a way that it hasn't seriously been in many years...

I am thinking about the Bobbie memorial episodes in which "Angela" (angel BJ) and Carly talked about Bobbie rescuing trafficked women, and then Carly discussing it with Tracy.

Transcript
https://tvmeg.com/index.php/2024/01/10/gh-transcript-wednesday-january-10-2024/

January 10, 2024  - "Angela" (angel BJ) and Carly talking
Your mother did confide in me about her teenage years. When she was a prostitute. I also know that she was too young to make that choice. Bobbie herself was trafficked. Of course, they weren’t calling it that back then. But it’s finally being acknowledged for the abuse that it was. 

January 10, 2024  - Tracy and Carly talking:

Wow. Here I thought I was taking something off of Bobbie’s plate by going to Amsterdam. Little did I know, she had a whole other platter. Human trafficking? 

Yeah. I mean, it makes sense, given my mom’s history and her complicated relationship with Ruby and Luke. 

Luke loved your mother. 

I know. 

And he went above and beyond to always protect her. Yes. He, um, protected her in his own way.

Come on. I mean, he didn’t go to the police. He could have stopped it, Tracy. 

Back then, the person who would have gotten into trouble is your mother. They didn’t know better then. 

They did... deep down. And if they didn’t, they sure as hell should have.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I can appreciate a nice moment like Sonny’s predator past being explained for what it really is. But, what does any of it mean though? They’re never going to have Sonny admit who he really is or suddenly make him the town pariah for it. 

This show will always have the underlying narrative that Sonny (and soon Jason) are the town heroes, and law enforcement and everyone else who begs to differ are in the wrong ultimately. 

• Members
Posted (edited)

The Jax and Sonny beef actually dates back to 1996, so we are nearing 30 years lol.  I would say it's much more deep than a petty beef over Brenda/Carly as there were children and violence involved as well as the sheer number of years Jax saw it up close and personal.  Honestly, I'd be fine with the show just ditching the accent too.

I agree this Karen stuff hits different because it so sleazy and scummy and Sonny still thinks he helped her.  The show tip toed around it for a long time.  I think it should also be noted that Brenda was 18 when he started dating her.  That makes a pattern of him being predatory back then. The Stone issue I don't really agree with.  Sonny really did no wrong by Stone and I am sure the AIDS wing has helped 1000's of people.  So while Sonny may use it to make himself look better, the good the wing is actually doing to help people outweighs that IMO.

I have no problem with Jagger talking about it and being mad about it.  However, it is Karen's story and he's speaking for her.  I know she's dead, but I have to take in account that Karen forgave Sonny and moved on with her life.  I think it's worth taking a few episodes and scenes to set up the anger and re-visit Sonny's worst flaws and somehow squeeze a Brenda mention in lol, but it will get old fast.

Edited by carolineg

• Members

Agreed or just visited Stone more often?  I do think the show is doing a good job acknowledging Jagger is misplacing some of his own regrets and anger at himself onto Sonny.  I think his scenes with Scotty at Karen's grave helped explain that.  

• Members

Korte was there when they were moving Jason into the central character role and Sonny was being called out for his emotional damage. It started with the ill conceived Emily relationship and really became an issue after Claudia, Michael’s stint in prison and rape, and original Dante stuff. They have headed this way before, even if it was Carly and Jason realizing their mistakes in letting Sonny control their lives. At times I wondered if Guza was going to have them go after him. The tone shift was so noticeable.

Do I think that is where this is headed? No. But Sonny not being the town grandpa figure would be welcome and it is possible we get that.

• Members
Posted (edited)

I'd settle for the mob focus being downshifted, as it's been before. (And titan is also right about the past shift.) And if these scenes help contribute to that I am all for it. They felt very much like the new team.

Edited by Vee

• Members

3-4

Well, it definitely already feels like a shift to me.  I felt like things were still moving fast, but scenes now seem to be able to breath. I noticed it last week, but it seems like more of the same. Characters talking about their feelings and lives and it builds into some kind of plot, who knew? lol.

Thank God Ms. Wu didn't get shot. I did like the set-up. Side notes: Loved that red coat Ava had on. But we know I have been enjoying Sonny/Ava as co-parents.

Speaking of...I actually enjoyed that Sonny vs John scene at the gym. It gave me so much more what I expected when Sonny and John met at Sonny's office. And that yell by John reminded me of FARSCAPE S4 Chiana. Bitter. Angry. It came off well and everyone was on their game.

Oh, how I enjoy Kristina in a story. 

I don't know what to think about Jason. I was thinking a con at first. Then he seem to act like he has no memory. But how he acted with Dante. So con...?