ALL: Darkest storylines in soap operas

• Members

Yes! Of course. Oh my god. I will check this out right now. I love serial killer stories and am obsessed with reading literature about them. I need to catch up to a lot of the soap opera ones. Thank you for this addition!

P.S  just started watching it and Another world IS ON ANOTHER WORLD. I love it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

From what I had watched so far... I LOVED Frankie and didn't know she was killed.

Please register in order to view this content

I am watching bits and pieces from Another world in youtube and completely in love with this soap. More in dept watching the 1991-1992 period. It's amazing how you were part of all of this. You have so much interesting stories and facts. Thank you for sharing and don't ever stop!

• Members

Actually, @OpportunisticSlut, I would say that "honor" goes to the "LOVING Murders."  As much as I detest watching serial killer storylines on soaps, I think James Harmon Brown and Barbara Esensten laid out the clues and foreshadowing pretty well.  And that denouement!  Such a brauva piece of acting and writing!

As a writer, Megan McTavish's mantra was not so much "Make 'em laugh, make 'em cry, make 'em wait," as it was, "Make 'em shudder, make 'em scream in terror, make 'em [!@#$%^&*] their pants in the dark of night."

Edited by Khan

• Members

A particularly grim UK one:

On Coronation Street Martin Platt entered into a relationship with 16 year old Katy Harris, who was roughly the same age as his (adopted) daughter Sarah. They'd gotten close as Martin, a nurse, helped Katy deal with her diabetes diagnosis (which these days would probably rightfully considered grooming, though not illegal then or now since Katy was above the age of consent in the UK). As you would expect, Katy's parents - Tommy and Angela - weren't happy about this, particularly Tommy. After about a year or so, Katy fell pregnant by Martin, which angered Tommy even more.

Meanwhile, Sally Webster was cheating on her husband Kevin with her boss. Tommy grew suspicious about her behaviour and after Angela overheard Gail (Martin's ex wife) and Sally talking about the affair, she and Tommy came to the erroneous conclusion that Sally was having an affair with Martin since Martin and Sally had previously been in a relationship before Sally had gotten back together with Kevin.

After being told of the false news, Katy broke up with Martin and was convinced by her parents to have an abortion. When Gail learned of the rumour that Sally and Martin were having an affair, she immediately went around to Tommy and Angela to set them straight. Angela was regretful but Tommy didn't care. Angela later told Katy who was upset that she'd had an abortion for nothing. Katy went to the garage to confront her father but Tommy was unapologetic and taunted her about the abortion. An enraged Katy hit Tommy on the head with a wrench just as Angela walked in. Tommy was dead.

In the weeks that followed, Angela and Katy tried to cover up their involvement in Tommy's murder by making it look like it was the result of a break in. Angela even hid the wrench in the coffin and Katy had to stay silent as Martin was suspected of the crime. But eventually, forensic evidence tied Angela to the crime and she was arrested. Katy and her brother were sent off to stay with their grandad but Katy later returned to the street on her own. Feeling guilty, Katy wrote a confession note then destroyed her insulin before overdosing on water mixed with sugar. Katy was in a diabetic coma for a while but eventually died. Angela was cleared of murder but was still sent down for a few years for perverting the course of justice.