ALL: Darkest storylines in soap operas

• Members

I would name the Brent/Marian Crane story on GL, another one penned by Megan McTavish. Watching this story as a kid was unnerving. I really do hate that we lost one of my favorite characters; Nadine, to this psycho and it was so horrible how she went. 

Which also brings me to also having literal nightmares when I watched poor Frankie beg for her life on Another World.

Crazy how I do believe both these stories took place around the same time.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The rape storyline is Stephanie's version of Brooke sleeping with her daughter's husband. It went too far and made people, for the first time, loathe Stephanie, which is bad, since Stephanie was the queen bee.  And it was made in poor taste. KKL worked that material ... even though there wasn't a proper climax of Stephanie vs Brooke after the rape, which felt anti-climactic. But this is Bradley Bell, he doesn't know how to do climax.

Then the eggs storyline truly left a bad taste in my mouth in a way I never recovered and never took the show serious, ever. The way they swept this story again under the rug and how this child disappeared is mind-boggling. Brooke will never leave her DNA just like that and never look back.

2006 to 2010 was very lackluster period of the show. I have watched these years out of boredom in my student years, probably 2-3 times and if you ask me something today I don't even remember most of it. It was too boring and too much Nick, Nick, Nick, Nick. Like it is with Liam for the past 10 years. Too much. 

• Members

Brent/Marian Crane is a very dark story from beginning to end. So dark the actor had to take a mental health break from plying the character.

On GH, the fire that “killed” Lucky. They played it so realistically that it was hard to watch. I don’t think I’ve very seen someone on a soap as devastated as Laura was. The scenes when Luke tells her, the morgue, and especially later when she was in Lucky’s room. Intense and harrowing.

• Members

This is a very good retrospective on it, but it contains major spoilers, so don't watch if you intend to actually watch the episodes in full.

You basically want to start watching when Frank Beaty debuts as Brent to get the full backstory. According to this page https://ultimatesoapfan.fandom.com/wiki/Frank_Beaty his airdates are (02/14/1995-02/16/1996)

This one is more like a music video, also with spoilers but no text.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

http://tvmegasite.net/day/gl/characters/brent.shtml

https://glmemories.blogspot.com/2006/11/cracked.html

Longtime viewers will remember that this was the storyline that contributed heavily to the real life mental breakdown of Beatty in 1996 after his character assumed the female alter ego of Marian Crane. Beatty would eventually be replaced in the role for a few months while he recuperated, 

• Members

Well, I guess you'd better see the Fax Newman serial killer storyline including the most gruesome murder onscreen. Jill Farren Phelps, EP, Margaret de Priest HW, Another World, the murder of Frankie Frame. Can I PM you? Never mind. No need. 

Edited by Donna L. Bridges