DAYS: December 2023 Discussion Thread

• Members

I didn't listen to the podcast ever, but I found a lot of his opinions and takes aligned with my own.  That doesn't mean I love him as a fictional writer, but he does have a love and knowledge for the genre.  But most people on this board do as well.  We probably all couldn't write for soaps, I do think a lot of people on here can though (not myself lol)

I just don't think loving a genre correlates to good writing.  I think the ideas might be there, but getting from point A to point B is another issue.  Also, no excuse for Duke the Bear.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Right?  I just think a good writer would have to think about timing, logistics, actor availability, budget, etc.  I don't think Jamie thinks about these things.  It's just one great broad idea that looks okay on paper.  Again, Duke the bear is not part of this because someone had to be very drunk and high to greenlight that.

• Members

Absolutely.  I think it's on Ron and the producer.   I still think the ideas and stories are there, but no one is thinking about pacing and character because Jamey is thinking about how many laughs and odd nods to history he can fit in to his one day a week breakdown.  It something that starts from the top.

• Members

I think there are issues specific to breakdown writing that I would criticize on a Jamey episode.

1. I don't think they are well-balanced, every soap uses short scenes, but there's no rhyme or reason to the order of how scenes progress in an episode.  Two people will talk about something, then in the next scene people are talking about a different topic, then cut to two other people talking about the same plot as the first scene.  Those shifts don't make sense, and it doesn't build to anything.
  2. My constant critique of a Jamey episode is that it is disorienting what time of day it is in Salem.  Holly's getting home from school, people are eating dinner, and others are going to bed.  They don't seem to exist in the same timeline.
  3. DAYS will frequently feature a story for a few episodes and then switch to another story.  But, when we return to the first story, it is as if characters have been frozen in time, as they haven't moved or spoken since we last saw them.
  4. There's not enough interaction throughout the town.  E.g. Stefan still hasn't told Chad that Clyde is threatening him, despite them having two scenes together since the story began.  When the ladies were kidnapped and feared dead, Paulina never reacted to the news.  It is the same people talking about the same thing every episode.