ALL: Characters Who Filled the Void of Another

• Members

For example, Phyliss clearly appeared to be Y&R's new Sheila. Obsessed redhead, drugs and rapes popular man, uses his baby as a weapon to keep him and break up his existing marriage. Near mirror images.

Morgan Dewitt on B&B also seemed to be another Sheila fill in with similar tropes. 

Some have argued that Sam was GH's new Brenda. Tamara Braun's Carly even said so in an elevator scene to Sam. I don't see it because Sam is a much calmer less expressive charachter.

Edited by Planet Soap

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Errol changed the title to Characters Who Filled the Void of Another
  • Members

On AMC,didn't Erica grow close to Myrtle after Mona died? I guess literally and figuratively, Myrtle became the stable mother figure Erica turned to.

On SFT, Jo fostered a teen boy Bruce who grew into adulthood throughout the 70's. In a sense he took the place of Jo's son Duncan who was killed off as an infant in the 50's and would have been that age by the 70's.

• Members

I've often thought that the failure of establishing a female Quartermaine through Dawn Winthrop led to the creation of Emily.  Dawn was recast four times, and her origin story was a mess, but a female Quatermaine in that generation had a lot of story potential.  So, Emily filled that void.

• Members

I agree with this. I also don't think that a replacement character has to necessarily come immediately after who they're succeeding. For example, Megan Hathaway and Renee on Days (both surprise DiMera daughters).

What's interesting is when the replacement doesn't catch on, and the OG comes back. On GH, Tracy-Alexandra-Tracy.

• Members

On ATWT, after Doug Marland shifted Lily out of being a central heroine due to Martha Byrne's exit from the role, he introduced Rosanna, a dreary heiress who saw the Snyder farm as her true home and got involved with a studly farm boy.

On AW, as Iris was leaving Bay City, Miranda Bishop was introduced, in a naked attempt to recreate the socialite scheming to break up Mac and Rachel. 

On GL, Lucy Cooper was such a blatant attempt to recreate Harley that she was brought in the very same episode where Harley left. This was not a good introduction choice (for me and I'm guessing for many other fans), to say the least. 

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Literally never heard of Tricia until now. To my understanding, Hunter Tylo asked to be written out of the series because she felt Taylor was played out.  That would be comical if the show just got someone exactly like her character to fill that void, defeating the purpose of killing Taylor. 

Obvious exapme but Mariah is Y&R's mea culpa for killing Cassie. Her death was a short sighted stunt move to shock the viewers, but it did not serve the show in any way.

Edited by Planet Soap

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I tend to agree with this.   There have been obviously quite a few Brenda replacement attempts, but Hannah was probably the most blatant.  It was even part of her story that she looked so much like Brenda and that was the reason she was chosen to infiltrate Sonny's organization.

I don't argue that early Sam was a Brenda rip off down to the looks and pairings, but I don't think they are alike at all now and haven't been for years and years.