ALL: Characters Who Filled the Void of Another

• Members

This is a great one. The need to raise Robin was clear, but Max also adopted all of Scorpio’s close friends like Sean, Tiffany, Holly,  and Felicia. Mac was in a different character orbit when he first came on, more a scoundrel than a law enforcement officer. 

…and boy was he handsome. I loved all the gratuitous shirtless scenes. Kind of reminds me of Cody these days. 

Another GH example has to be new Amy and Amy Vinnings. I mean, they basically said it on screen. Amy V. was the talkative and gossipy nurse. New Amy plays the same role, to a lesser degree of success if you ask me. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's funny but my mention of the efforts to "replace" Laura made me think that there are several actresses right there that owe the start of their careers to the fact that Genie Francis chose to leave GH at that time. Janine Turner, Demi Moore and Emma Samms all had their first big exposure on GH as a direct result of Genie's departure. Had Genie not left, those characters/actresses would not have been brought on and who knows how their careers (and lives) would have played out. 

Edited by applcin

• Errol changed the title to ALL: Characters Who Filled the Void of Another
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Guiding Light:

Nadine was originally bought on in early 1989, and the writers made some attempt to say she was similar to Reva with her wearing red and interacting with Josh.  But eventually, she seemed more like a replacement for Nola Reardon in terms of her scheming, quirkiness, and even feuded with Vanessa.  Once Nola was bought back in 1995, Nadine was eliminated from the show.

Maeve Stoddard was the newspaper editor with a slight sarcastic/cynical edge.  Within a few months of her character being killed off, it seemed as though Long/Curlee had a recently returned Holly fill the void of the Maeve character with her running WSPR then later the Springfield Journal.. even marrying Fletcher (Maeve's widow) in the mid 90s.   Holly basically served the function that Maeve had, but the difference was that she had history and connections on the show.

Edited by Soaplovers

• Members

OLTL - Even though I started watching the show after Joe Riley's death, from the clips I've seen it seems Clint was literally introduced as Joe's replacement, as Joe brought him in to take over for him as editor at the Banner. I believe Joe also was nudging Viki towards Clint? (The old "having the blessing of the dying spouse" thing, lol.)

Edited by applcin

• Members

I brushed up on recent GH history due to checking hte show out for Bobbie and I have to say the combination of Kiki, Willow, Nelle, Esme and Sasha confused the hell out of me. They all seem to fill the void of each other. WTF the show was just cloning the same 2 characters and blending them? I thought Sasha was a Nelle recast and thought Esme was Willow in her scenes

Edited by Cheap21