YR new intro!

• Members

Now this is EMBARRASSING. Back in the day sure every soap experienced the occasional end credits goof every now and then….but to have such an egregious error in the opening credits and just let it hit the airwaves without noticing…yeeesh. I’d say somebody needs to be fired for not doing the one job they had to, however my money is on Josh Griffith personally making these credits himself

Please register in order to view this content

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Haha, I feel like it's only fitting since in a way Nikki is kind of the new "grand dame" I think Jill deserves the tittle more, but with Jess Walton's schedule and not being on much that won't ever happen unfortunately. 

Overall I guess the intro isn't that bad the more I see it. (Did they finally update Stafford in the dress, with Braeden and MTS now?) Like I said the intros have kind of been uninspired since 2003. 

• Members

I was never a fan of the red 1999 opening & music and they never updated it at all except to edit out the cast who left.  So the 2003 opening was a relief to me as we had the classic score back, and it felt so classy and innovative initially, problem was they never updated those intros as time passed. How many years did we have to see Graz running on the beach lol? The 2012 opening was just something enhanced & refreshed, and Justin Hartley’s personalized version the only thing I remember clearly aside from Jeanne’s last opening of Katherine tossing cash in the air.

The 2017 open has been okay but nothing special. I just saying the other day how nice it was to see MM look fierce again in the opening credits. 

And no contrary to a few other posters about saying this was worse that GL and ATWT, no I don’t think this is worse at all. Cheap and tacky for sure, but GL, ATWT, OLTL, and GH all have had worse openings. The saving grace is keeping classic Nadia’s Theme.

• Members

I just noticed that Stafford's gala gown has a full-length veil that that drapes from the back of the dress, so that could fit the silhouette.

Stafford seems to have confirmed that she's the woman in the new silhouette.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

The 88-2000 opening was hardly groundbreaking at the time, just some poses against a white background. I recall a kind of glittery effect in the early days that was a little chintzy. But it was the first major change and introduced the new logo.

I do like the idea of Victor placing the necklace on Nikki- especially as the show has her enthralled when he gifts her with jewelry, but I wonder Eric would go along with it -in terms of sharing the screen time with Melody.

• Members

It probably did as I only did a quick scan of 7 pages quickly but now that I’ve reread it I understand and respect your point in regards to all of GL’s 2003-09 openings as I did misunderstand your point. 

I do find this opening more comparable to ATWT’s final generic openings it’s last 8 years though as well as the overall state of the show. 

Yet it in a way it perfectly symbolized something classy and sophisticated Y&R was supposed to be. Of the earlier 1988-93 had unique animations, and we all saw Brad, Ryan, Cole, and Malcolm shirtless in the opening credits as time went on, but the simple opening with cast in formal wear really spoke for itself. I do wish the show had kept up with the cast drawings though.

• Members

Thank you, I appreciate that.

This discussion got thinking about older soap opera openings. From my observation the majority were very "of the time".

Like the silk sheets OLTL opening screams, to me, sexy Silk Stalkings meets Network Television. Or the AW opening that looked like a hair spray ad from 1987. The Guiding Light opening with the sun shimmering through leaves as Muzak softly plays gets me dreaming about mustard colored decor and the energy crisis.

What exactly is this opening telling us about Y&R in 2023, other than "look we have people you recognize!"? The style of it is only presenting as "I guess this'll have to do". 

• Members

The anniversary open could have been charachter sketches (like the late 70s/early 80s) which transform into live pictures (like the 88-99 intro). Or they could have re-created the jazzy red intro maybe with a different color like gold instead of red for the 50th. Instead we get a windows movie maker intro with a horror movie font. I wonder if the cast can tell how awful it looks.

This is easily one of the worst soap intros of all time. It really lifts GH's off white epilepsy opening out of the gutter. Idk how soaps are allowed to come on the air with such poor quality. Audience loyalty is truly strong.

I had a feeling Y&R might drop the ball in some way for the 50th, hopefully GH doesn't disappoint. Their 50th celebration in 2013 was epic. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

I still think it's Michelle Stafford with a male co-star; the dress' movement matches the fabrics of Stafford's dress. As for the male, I'm thinking it's Sean Dominic; you can see shorter-length slacks, and most of the publicity photos have the slacks extra long. Dominic is one of the few men with more tailored-slacks. Others include: Conner Floyd & Bryton James. Michael Graziadei & Jason Thompson are other contenders, too.

Please register in order to view this content