General Hospital: January 2023 Discussion Thread

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

My point is that the material would be just as bad if Serena or Christina were around instead of Wilsha.

You know what I meant. Right now the character is all id. She has no depth. She's like 19 or 20 and pregnant (by a man twice her age) and it doesn't seem to phase her beyond a means to an end. There could be a lot more there but the writing isn't supporting a character here. She's a plot device when there potential for a lot more.

Genie's clothing looks horrible every time she gains 10lbs. At this point I think it's her.

• Members

Probably. Doesn't mean I don't want better for the show. You should know, Mr. Y&R.

I don't particularly need Esme to be a long-term concern tbh. Pohl is great and I do agree she could be much less of a cartoon and given more depth, but I also think a little of some characters like that goes a long way and then you bring them back for recurring returns. Run a good storyline with her and then send her away for at least awhile. Otherwise you end up with Obrecht. I imagine that's part of the same reason Heather didn't stay forever in the '80s. You can transition Esme's stories, as they did with Heather to more conventional scheming, but I still wouldn't try to make her super long-term viable.

I think they dress and style so many people badly, so I can't blame it all on Genie.

Edited by Vee

• Members

That's the problem, they write these over the top characters then keep them around forever. Ava despite Maura's talents would not have lasted past 1998. But soaps are at a place where they're afraid to write out anyone just in case some portion of the audience might like them. That's why Days is a revolving door and why the average cast member on Y&R is a 30 year vet.

And I think the youth set could use a good troublemaker, that's why I would have invested more in her.

It's a damn shame that with Nik gone Laura will have no children on this show. It makes no sense. Jonathan Jackson has been gone for a decade and ain't coming back, recast Lucky. Convince Julie Marie Berman to come back. Something.

• Members

Agree.

And it's been set up so beautifully too.

You have the Portia/Curtis wedding around the 15th of this month per their invites. 

This Valentin/Sonny deal about to happen. 

And then Anna/Laura vs Victor approaching climax. Since it has totally turned into the C plot after two months of being the main plot, I can only speculate it is back on the backburner again until end of this month leading into February so the writers can focus on Portia/Curtis and Michael vs Sonny. Even the Hook storyline is hovering above being the B plot and it is only because they are allowing Joss's part in Britt's death section of that plot to breathe a bit before a reveal. 

But those 4 main/potential main plots (wedding, shady deal, Hook story, good vs evil)...not even including the 500 subplots within each one...are perfectly being positioned to be fired off. They just have to pull the trigger between now and March.

• Members

I have no problem running the race with Esme for an extended stretch with Cam or others. But if it was me, the center of that scene would be Spencer and Trina, Joss would get moved into a fluffier/more spoiled funny role with a recast, and the new long-term bitch would be... Emma Drake, the last person people expect, bamboozling Cameron and everyone else.

(No, that little girl who played her would not be back. Sorry, she was terrible.)

Josh Kelly should've been Lucky #4. But as it is, JJ has allegedly been willing to come back for more stints, however long or short, and they haven't offered. Which is a big mistake IMO.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Joss is disgusting. I wish the hook had killed her instead of Britt. She says she feels guilty but her slutty actions are not the actions of a guilty person. I hope Cam gets back at her so good. 

Did anybody else laugh when Nina was going on and on about Willow and said how selfish Michael is?

Please register in order to view this content

That Carly/Drew scene and the way it was dragged out was shades of JER, and I didn’t mind it. I am curious to see what happens now in this storyline.

If it were me, I’d have every storyline reach their climax on the day of Curtis and Portia’s wedding. Have the day play out for the whole month of February