Retcons You Liked/Disliked

• Members

That was bizarre to undo one hated retcon and then replace it with another stupid move that went nowhere. 

Jill should have been revealed to be Bill Foster's daughter that he and Liz adopted. It would fit into his character that he might have an affair and then Liz, wanting a daughter, took on his child.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When was this?

Please register in order to view this content

Tell me more.

It was just bad ontop of stupid writing.

Undoing Jill as Kay's daughter was a good move with a bad explanation.

Undoing Phillip III as Jill's son infavor of Cane and then reversing course and bringing Phillip back from the dead made no sense. 

• Members

It was after Ethan turned out to be Luke's son with Holly.  Luke admitted to cheating several times throughout the years after that and (I think?) implied Laura knew.  It's all tied in with the retcon that Laura was too boring for Luke and wanted him to settle down and he was unhappy his entire marriage.  Blah, blah, blah lol.

This really isn't a huge deal in the scheme of things on Days, but I hated the retcon of Alex North being Marlena's first husband.  It was an awful story and it literally invalidated all Marlena's marriages.  And to add insult to injury they used old Roman/Marlena flashbacks for Alex/Marlena.  Days is full of silly retcons, but for some reason that story really stuck with me as being extra bad.

• Members

Seems like Geary was just determined to turn Luke into this dark charachter. Its almost as if he resented the fame the charachter achieved. Its crazy how the biggest supercouple in soaps is constantly being destroyed by writers.

As a viewer, Luke was at his best in the mid 90s, an enthusiastic family man. I can understand why fans are glad to see Laura free of him, even though I would like to see them together again with better writing. 

Edited by ironlion

• Members

I liked him best in the 90's as well, but Geary really tried to distance Luke from that.  Luke has made it seem like being married to Laura was a stifling chore, but we actually saw something much different on the show.  I find Laura/Kevin pretty dull, but I am okay with her moving on from Luke.   Although, if GH goes off the air I do see Luke/Laura as endgame.

• Members

That did not happen. I wish we could put this to rest!!! LOL

He had amnesia, it was never said anywhere that he abandoned his family. 

Also - it's not even a huge retcon. He stopped appearing and then they gave an explanation for it a few years later.

Edited by YRBB

• Members

A poor choice of words on my part.

As for not being a huge retcon- Mary's husband and Paul's father vanishes one day and they never mention it till years later?

No, something that would have been a huge story at the time, huge angst, investigation, false leads etc

So I regard it as a pretty major retcon.

And the other annoying thing is that once it came into the open,it was dealt with and forgotten. Paul never mentioned his father again.

• Members

So, I've been racking my brain to think of retcons that I liked.

I went back and the re-read the thread from when this topic was discussed 10 years ago and there seemed to be two main categories of retcons (1) long lost children & (2) returns from the dead.  Although, I would not categorize all long lost kids and resurrections as retcons, unless they actually conflict with pre-established on-screen cannon (like Victor Newman's UN-vasectomy).

However, of those retcons, I would approved of Greenlee as Jack's daughter on AMC, just because of the conflict that arose between Greenlee, Erica, and Kendall.  It didn't make a lot of sense, but it grounded the Greenlee vs Erica feud which I enjoyed.

I also approve of DAYS Rex as Roman's son, because it resolved the whole issue of whether or not Rex and Cassie were space aliens, which would have never been an acceptable backstory.

In the same vein, I appreciated when Jack and Lexi on DAYS were brought back from the dead.  We've all noted how Jack has been disrespected as a character over the years (as well as the number of times that reports of his death have been premature).  But, in my mind, he still holds enormous story potential within the community of Salem.

In short, I can appreciate a retcon as a course correction that resolves issues that should no longer define a long term character, (like AJ's first death on GH).

Edited by j swift

• 2 weeks later...