Soap Opera Anniversaries

• Members

The recent discussion about the dismissal of Jed Allen aka Don Craig from DAYS in the 1980s reminded me of an SOD column from the time which hypothesized that in order to attract younger viewers soaps were trying to veer away from nostalgia and historical elements (so funny how misguided marketing execs are about attracting the youth).

Anyway, eventually the networks began to embrace and promote soaps as an inter-generational activity.  Which leads me to the following questions:

(1) What was the first instance of a special anniversary episode for any soap on any network?

(2) What are the best anniversary episodes? (worst need not apply - I'm looking at you ATWT episode with the ladies stuck on a bus in the woods).

Edited by j swift

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

In 1974, Another World did the experimental one hour episode for its 10th Anniversary when John Randolph disrupted Alice and Steve’s wedding.

For the 20th Anniversary in 1984, original cast member Jacqueline Courtney returned to the show as Alice and the David Thatcher murder mystery began.  The murder mystery would be the big umbrella story for 1984.

The 25th Anniversary coincided with the conclusion of the Jason Frame murder mystery was filled with returning characters and flashbacks.  It was well done considering most of the episodes had to quickly be rewritten when Douglass Watson (Mac) passed away suddenly.

The 30th Anniversary revolved around the 30th Anniversary of Cory Publishing.  The 60s themed party ended with the characters breaking the fourth wall thanking the audience and showing highlights from 30 years of the show.

The 35th Anniversary was basically overlooked and nothing was done on air as the show was cancelled a few weeks before the anniversary. 

• Members

I'm fond of GH's 30th anniversary episode from 1993, the one that introduced "Faces of the Heart" and had the special teaser and tag with John Bernadino. I'm now convinced that John's dignified walk through the darkened soundstage was meant as a retort to Paul Rauch stamping out his cigar on the floor in Santa Barbara's last moments.

• Members

Y&R anniversary week recaps.

The Young and the Restless Recaps: The week of March 23, 1998 on Y&R | Soap Central

The Young and the Restless Recaps: The week of March 24, 2003 on Y&R | Soap Central

The Young and the Restless Recaps: The week of March 25, 2013 on Y&R | Soap Central

During the classics, we saw an episode from the 20th anniversary week (March 22-26, 1993). I don't think any episodes have surfaced from the 10th anniversary week March 28-April 1, 1983 (March 26, 1983 was a Saturday).

• Members

I don't think much was made of anniversaries until the  80's.

20th/25th  anniversaries of ATWT, GL, SFT, EON etc seemed to pass by unnoticed.

I think Days 25th was the first to be acknowledged during Cruise of Deception storyline?

Search for Tomorrow did a 35th with Jo and Stu reminiscing and old clips but it was cancelled soon after.

• Members

Yeah, I feel like AW's 25th in '89 was the first acknowleged anniversary and flashbacks celebration. AMC apparently did a special 20th anniversary episode with the remaining original cast members. And DOOL celebrated its 25th around the time of the earthquake at the Alamains' home country.

I don't remember DOOL doing anything big for the 30th, but the 35th also was full of flashbacks.

• Members

I really enjoyed the 25th anniversary celebrations on Another and All My Children.  The shows really put a great deal of heart and thought into them. Both shows also did a good job acknowledging their 20th anniversaries but on a much smaller scale.

• Members

I vaguely remember the Carol Burnett special and wish I had caught the 1995 episodes. I think Khan spoke highly of them, that it was treated like an EVENT. I think it was the first time we saw the Martin house set since the tornado episodes.

• Members

And the episode was literally set during an anniversary for Nancy and Chris Hughes two core cast members who had been on the very first episode of ATWT. In fact, Nancy Hughes had the very first line of dialogue to open the series.

Also, if you watch the actual episode from April 1986, there are a few clips included in the actual episode, at the end of the episode.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Not so much an episode but an event. I thought GH's fifty hour, 50th anniversary marathon on SOAPnet was well done. It showcased episodes from every decade of the series (though I wish more seventies especially pre Monty episodes were available). There was a decent amount of hype built in the press and it truly showcased how epic the soap was. 

Playlist:

Edited by ironlion