2022 Daytime Emmys Discussion Thread

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thank you for putting that so succinctly. Chuck Pratt and even Mel whatever his name was, didn’t want MM/Hilary being a lead and as Hilary, she got uncomfortably close to being a lead. Never forget that interview where Pratt’ groused about budgeting for specific characters who also happened to be Black. Why should people forget about this.

I have never understood why other fans can write, call, call out, picket and boycott inequities in the system while soap fans are expected to behave as if they’ve had lobotomies. People may not like agitation but it does produce results (“Oscars So White” Anyone?) As the saying goes “Pressure produces diamonds”. And what is this genre producing?

Anyway, I do hope that Mishael can parlay her win into more opportunities to work on other platforms and do interesting work. If nothing else, the historic nature of her win should put her on the radar of other producers in the entertainment industry. Hopefully.

• Members

Finally, I saw the In Memoriam segment and it was just okay, imo. Some people were asking why Michael Bolton wasn’t moving his face and if he’d had some type of Botox. I think he was trying to have a restrained performance, befitting the solemnity of the occasion. I appreciate that he was not delivering the type of overwrought performance that he might have delivered in the 1980s or 90s. Still, the tone of the song itself, not to mention the desperation of those lyrics just doesn’t strike quite the right note, imo, especially given the fact that there were people who died of suicide in that segment. 
Not mentioning Lisa Brown’s work as part of an important coupling on Guiding Light, the first televised daytime drama, is an omission that I just cannot fathom how that happened, especially given that Michael Tylo was in that same segment. Did they not have time to include Marni Schulenberg in this year’s segment?
Hopefully Kathryn Hays will also be included in the prime time Emmy In Memoriam segment. We all know that even the Daytime Emmys organization has more deference to the Primetime Emmy awards than their own, not to mention that there was more media (not just social media) engagement in regards to Hays’ Star Trek appearance than her decades of work on As The World Turns.