Fire Island on Hulu

• Members

Who watched the new movie on Hulu? It stars Joel Kim Booster, Bowen Yang, Conrad Ricamora, Matt Rogers, James Scully, Nick Adams, and Margaret Cho. It’s cute as a typical rom-com fantasy loosely based on Pride and Prejudice, which means you have turn your brain off to really enjoy it, but for all of its claims of diversity, it falls into a lot of the same traps of marginalizing its black and brown characters (and inadvertently centering the white gays the film tries to critique by making the clueless white doctor the prize):

Conrad Ricamora is delicious, though, and there are some insightful moments:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh, for sure. Not that I take critic ratings into too much consideration (after all, I LOVED '54' and the critics really hated it), but when I upload these things to my  PLEX, PLEX then generates the file information through IMBd, etc. and it looks like this. I am preferential on video resolution and audio and the only thing I do is convert files to HEVC mkv or mp4 for better picture quality. But, Rotten Tomatoes gives this movie 93%.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

The director's cut of 54 - suppressed for decades by the Weinsteins, who cut/reshot the movie immensely to remove the gay content and a lot more amorality and darkness written in by its gay writer-director - is now available on streaming. It's a much more worthwhile film (and includes a gay scene featuring AMC's Cameron Mathison, who was just starting on AMC at the time).

• Members

I wonder if that's the director's cut version I have. Ew. No, this file is 720p resolution. Oh! Sherry Stringfield is in this movie too! Yeah, I'm on the hunt for the director's cut version! Thanks for that info!

• Members

I found the opening to be tough-going myself with the cliché, self-conscious, too-on-the-nose identity name-checking when they were on the ferry to Fire Island (I’m an older millennial), but I was laughing somewhat more often as the movie progressed. 

Everyone's plain dull. Sadly, i've seen worse. All those boujie queens gave me a stomach ache. At an hour and 45 mins. It felt a lot longer. If anyone's looking for superior gay movies. Classics like A Beautiful Thing or Stonewall (1995 ). Are worth a look.

• Members

Thank you for the 54 Director's Cut tip.

That said...thank you for this thread, Faulker. Birthday week and I've totally forgot about it. I am curious...especially since one of the actors is playing a gay God over on LEGACIES in a funny case of typecasting...but just haven't found the time. 

And oh how I miss Conrad on HOW TO GET AWAY WITH MURDER...