80's Slasher films

Greg

• Members

I have been watching some old flicks I have laying around. Slasher films from the 80's.

Watching some of this stuff again has helped desensitize me for a while from some freaky stuff going on. It is kind of morbid, but hey what ever works. lol.

I was wondering if there was any fans of the Slasher genre?

Here is some of my favorites.

The House on Sorority Row

Synopsis:

In 1961 a pregnant woman goes through a traumatic labor. Twenty-two years later the woman is now a mean and super crabby housemother at a sorority house. A group of graduating sorority girls decides to play a prank on her. The girls take the old lady's cane and put it into the nastiest swimming pool I have ever seen, and make her go in after it. The plan misfires and she ends up dead, or does she? Soon the body is missing and the killer with a bloody cane disrupts the girls' graduation party! (like total bummer)

It has Y&R's Eileen Davidson is in it as one !@#$%^&*]y, bad-ass sorority girl. She was great in this movie. The girl doesn't skimp out on the nude scene either!

What I like about this film is that isn't filled with your typical bimbos.

But the killer's choice of weapon (a walking cane) isn't very scary. lol

Slaughter High

Synopsis:

A group of popular students play a cruel prank on a shy nerd resulting in a terrible accident. The old acid in the face trick. Years later a reunion is held where each of the students face a stalker killer who may be the same nerd out for revenge.

This movie is so bad that it's is cheesy laughable bad. The teens all look like they are pushing 40. It takes place in the USA but most of the cast flip flop between British accents. The school at times looks like a hotel. It has been closed for years when the 'kids' show up, yet there is electricity and running water. Probably so one chick could do a nude scene in the bathtub. I went to 4 different high schools growing up and not one had a bathtub in it. lol. It is such a funny part in the film too. After her friend's insides explode onto her everyone runs for the nearest exits. But what does home girl decide to do? Take a bath of course. Death soon comes for her, thank goodness. The best part of this movie would have to be the darkness of the school. It looks like what you would think a scary old school would look like...well besides the bedrooms in it!?

I just found this out the other day. The guy that plays the nerd, Marty, killed himself right after the release of this movie. It was the only film he ever did. I think he was 30 when he died.

Slumber Party Massacre

Synopsis:

High school girl is left at home by her parents and she decides to have a slumber party. There is friction between some of the invited guests and the new girl, who is better at basketball than they, so the new girl decides to stay at home (which is conveniently across the street from the host's house). Meanwhile, a murderer of five people with a propensity for power tools has escaped and is at large, and eventually makes his way to the party.

We see the killer with a drill hanging between his legs like an oversized penis and the message is clear--fight back women and you wont get "drilled." Plenty of T&A.

And when the killer says "I love you" it is so creepy.

This film was written and directed by women. Girl power! lol

I also like the sequels. SPM II has Helen from Wings in it and one of the most annoying killers ever. A rock and roll rock star!

Sleepaway Camp

Synopsis:

After a boating accident kills her family, Angela, a shy and sullen young girl, moves in with her aunt, alongside her protective cousin Ricky. One summer the kids are sent off to camp. Soon after their arrival, a series of bizarre and violent accidents begins to claim the lives of various campers. The disclosure of the murderer's identity is the most shocking climax to a movie I have ever seen. When I first seen this it was a total WTF moment. Robot Chicken did a good parody of the ending.

Again I love the sequels. Angela played by Bruce Springsteen's little sister in 2 and 3 rocks. Part 2 even has all of it's characters either named after the Brady Bunch or West Side Story! God bless the 80's. lol

Sorority House Massacre

Synopsis:

A little girl's brother kills the whole family but her (she escapes by hiding in the basement). He is committed, and she grows up with a new family, eventually going to college, where she joins a sorority. Due to a memory block, she doesn't remember that the sorority house was her childhood house. Her brother senses her presence in the house and escapes so he can finish the job he was unable to complete.

More bimbos being terrorized. But this film does have some good character development. I also never knew it could be so hard to flee from a maniac when you're half naked!

Splatter University

Synopsis:

A man escapes from a mental hospital, killing one of his keepers and then a University professor after he makes his way to the local college. Next semester, the late prof's replacement and a new group of students have to deal with a new batch of killings.

Bad acting, Bad hair, Bad clothes...total '80's flick.

April Fool's Day

Synopsis:

Group of college friends gather together at an island mansion belonging to heiress Muffy St. John (LOVE the name!) to celebrate their final year of school. They soon discover that each has a hidden secret from their past which is revealed, and soon after, they turn up dead. Yet, are they really dead? Or is it just part of some very real and cruel April Fool's jokes? The hostess, Muffy, is the only one who apparently knows what's going on.

I think this film is above the rest as storyline goes. The cast is really good too. I loves me some Muffy!

They don't make movies like these anymore. Which I don't know if that's a bad thing or a blessing.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've seen House on Sorority Row. The movie also starred Harley Kozak and Kathryn McNeil, who were on Santa Barbara and ATWT respectively. It was a great movie and it was shot in Baltimore which is only an hour away from me.

Sleepaway Camp was another good one. The ending shocked the hell out of me!

I also saw Sorority House Massacre too. I've seen tons of slashers. I love them. They're fun and some are quite scary. But I will list them later, I'm at work and my time is over! :lol:

• Members

Hey Greg..i have all that u have mentioned. I LOVE the older slasher movies. Nothing like watching some cheese to kill the time!! I LOVE the Slumber Party and Sorority House Massacre films. Great series. Splatter University was complete cheese. Actually...i got rid of that [!@#$%^&*]!! LOL!! I LOVESlaughter HIgh...cheesy but creepy and gory!! So many......

• Members

The very first slasher film I ever saw was Halloween, so that has been the benchmark by which I grade all other slasher flicks. Hell Night is another low-budget classic that many should see.

The one thing none of the flicks today have is..........suspense. The kills don't have to be all-out gory if the suspense is there. All these pictures do today is stick 10-15 beautiful actors on the screen who couldn't act their way out of their bathroom, with no build-up, introduce some psycho killer and have everyone run around for 90 minutes.

I've never seen Terror Train, but do remember Prom Night. Also, check out a film called Student Bodies, that lampoons the hell out of slasher films.

• Members

Black Christmas is one of THE best slashers ever made. I think it's even better than Halloween, in terms of suspense. I can't believe they're remaking this one!

Christmas horror movies are fun. I enjoyed Slient Night, Deadly Night (skip the sequels) and Silent Night, Bloody Night.

• Members

I think it definitely is!

The first time I saw it, it scared me half to death. I like that they don't expose so much about the killer. You don't know why he chooses to do what he does, except that he's just a raving maniac. The phone calls are the creepiest thing about the movie.

• Members

Awesome movies! Prom Night actually brought me to tears at the end. There are a few horror movies that made me tear. Nightmare On Elmstreet 3 was another one. When Nancy died in Kristen's arms i cried. My friend cried too. Nancy was our fave out of the series!! LOL!!

• Members

*Love* Prom Night. I've actually got it on video. And Student Bodies is hysterical. I first saw this many years ago on HBO when I was a kid. I loved how they'd flash the body count on the screen every time someone got killed. :lol:

• Members

Final Exam was okay, but I loved the showdown.

I have Prom Night on video and the ending is very sad. Can you believe Bob Guza wrote it??? He needs to stick to slasher movies because he ain't so good at writing soaps. :lol:

Another one I love is Girls Nite Out. The killer dresses up in a bear outfit with steak knives for claws.

Archived