Y&R April 2022 Discussion Thread

• Members

No arguments here!

And count me as another who thinks it's way past time for Y&R to do the damn thing and reunite Nick and Sharon permanently.  I mean, a few days ago, I suggested a Paul/Sharon hookup, which should tell you how much I'm at a loss over what to do with her.

Of course, I suspect JM is the reason why the show keeps teasing a reunion and then backs off, as he likely still sees himself as a stud and viable, romantic lead.  But you know what?  If a Nick/Sharon reunion just ain't gonna happen, then maybe it's time we talk about sending one or the other to that Great Backburner in the Sky (...or at least out of GC indefinitely).

(Personally, I'd nominate Nick, but I doubt Y&R would ever consider letting JM go under any circumstances - so, fine, let it be Sharon instead.)

Well, I would have at least let them marry on his deathbed, lol.

Yes.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

4-19

Well, you know you have good adversary energy when I want to see someone slap another. And at least I can say that for Sharon and Chelesa. It does make me wonder if it being abruptly brought and from what glance here if Sharon might go vengeful widow on her. 

Le sigh. I felt the Ashland story finally got some traction to it finally. But you all are right. The reveal of Victoria finding out Ashland faked his cancer was so...lifeless. I was actually shocked since over the last week I had actually started to engage with the storyline more if only because I knew AH can give good bitca when the writers allow her to. It did get some energy leading up to the car crash (THANK YOU, NIKKI!!!), but I cannot believe after building to this...it landed with a THUD.

There isn't anything about Diane's return that I'm not loving right now. ESPECIALLY her sitting in her hotel room after being confronted by Phyllis. Getting up to date on everyone (hehe her reaction to Nikki). The marks of a good schemer. Good knows this show needs one. 

And I see Nikki's about to FINALLY find out. Can't wait.

• Members

I'm freaking out a little bit because the score at the end of this scene sounds sweeping and epic, which is the first time I've felt this way about Y&R in damn near a decade. The camera work when Nikki first sees Diane is also the most interesting choice they've made in YEARS.

Also everyone looks great in this clip. Older but still themselves. Susan Walters is just a gorgeous woman, with her beautiful untouched face.

Edited by Darn

• Members

Mealor’s only facial expressions were usually just him smirking/looking smug all the time. Here he looked like a student of Drake Hogestyn’s acting school as if he just reacted to the news like as if he was smelling bad gas from Jack instead. 

And was there even a need for Victoria and Chelsea to interact? 

• Members

It's from the Y&R youtube channel which I think works only in the US.  It's the scene at the end of Monday April 25 US episode when Jack brings Nikki to Diane's hotel room. The very last one minute and 8 seconds of the episode.

The first 30-35 seconds are Phyllis and Nikki arguing in the hotel room, and then there's  a knock . Phyllis answers the door, and Jack is there and says "Change of plans" and then he steps aside and you see Nikki is with him.  Nikki enters the hotel  room and she and Diane stare.

But as Darn said, it's *how* it was filmed.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

Soaps need to turn down the lighting alot! Ultra HD is not their friend. I miss the dark and shadowy mood lighting of yesteryear. It set the tone for the show and helped disguise any cheap aesthetics (even though production was A1 back then). Moreover, why are the frames per second slower than usual in some shots?

Now that we have Diane back, and this is extremely unlikely, can we revive Drucilla!

Edited by ironlion

• Members

People used to refer to it as the “soap opera effect” with derision, but it worked well for decades. The same effect that people will look on in derision with soaps, will look on it with affection and appreciation in classic films.  That gauzy effect of the 1970s “Great Gatsby” is looked on with great affection but had that been a soap opera, it would have been talked about as a laughing stock.

Soaps need to realize that many of their main characters are over 50s and many most have not defied age, most look good for their age but most look their age, so these soaps need to have better, kinder lighting for their stars, especially since they center most of their stories around their elder characters.