Josh Griffith interview from SOD: a whole new YR

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

How can Nate go from being a doctor to a suit? Like, what?! 

Long do I miss the days when people had various professions on soaps and everyone wasn't cramped up in one damn set. 

And nothing is gonna come from these business stories b/c we never even know what they are fighting about at this point. Y&R should've scrapped these types of stories after Tuvia/Safra as it won't get any better as that story. That was the LAST juicy business story on this soap. At this point, everyone just needs to go sling glasses at Crimson Lights. 

And tossing Keemo aside and giving him a daughter we don't know sh*t is about is pointless. There was (and still is) a PLETHORA of story that Keemo could provide the Abbotts. This Allie character is gonna be on the canvas for 2 seconds and then be cast aside like all other young adults on this show. 

• Members

Nate was a surgeon. Then he was promoted to Chief of Surgery.

He was also doing Ask MD on line. He then passed that onto Elena.

Most of this happened at Society and Crimson Lights.

Now Lily has asked him to leave the hospital to become exec.

Makes zero sense.

But it's what Neil would have wanted.

• Members

Nate's hand was injured when he had a scuffle with Devon about Elena.  He hasn't been able to do surgery since then, at least I don't think so? I'm not sure.  I thought that was he changed to doing the WebMD stuff.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I sometimes feel headwriters should be given orientation with some very basic rules of soap writing when they start.
Stuff that is so obvious to us fans who have been watching for decades and have seen writers make the same mistakes over and over and that should be obvious to anyone with just a bit of common sense but that clearly ego and "creativity" make HW lose sight of.

Some things like: Don't introduce a whole bunch of new characters at once and place them front and center. Etc.

One of the golden rules that should be so obvious and clearly isn't: if you have to change a basic fact about a character in order to fit them into your story, the problem is with the story, not the character.
We know very little about Nate because he has been dreadfully underwritten. And one of the few immutable facts about him - he is a doctor in the footsteps of his mom - is now changed on a whim and Griffith is explicitly boasting that he is doing that to fit his vision for the show, rather than even come up with a lame character-based excuse.

There is the incompentence AND whatever it says - either that he feels so secure in his job that he is feeling his oats or that he is that delusional - that he is so comfortable openly telling us he is changing the entire career of a character, just because.

• Members

At the very least, Nate should be working at something Medically-related, not COO.  Granted, running a surgical department with budgets kinda  giolves him a little experience, but he's a doctor, like his mother before him. Completely trying to erase this part of who he fundamentally is makes absolutely no sense. 

Heading up a medically related division (pharmaceuticals, medical tech, cancer research, etc.) at Chancellor or even a medical think tank that comes up with new operations/medicines might be more within Nate's purview.

Also what was the friggin' point of him selling and buying back that condo. Just inane writing.

• Members

Josh  tells business/job stories pretty much  in cafes and restaurants and homes.

see Lauren, Nate, Elena, Rey, Nick,Noah, Tessa. Devon,Mariah, Amanda, Imani.

Which , in my mind devalues them even further , especially when they're pretty shaky in the first place.

For Josh to say business stories are paramount when all we have is Victoria's office,Adam's office and Chance.com office...maybe Jabot will return?

Personally, I would be focusing more on Jabot as cosmetics is appealing to the target market and more relatable than 'tech' stuff we never see.

And wasn't there just a non-story about Nate and Elena decorating? Was he still at Cane/Lily's former house?

Will the condo get a makeover? That same decor when Neil,Adam and Chelsea lived there.

All quite bizarre really.

• Members

I think it's realistic to tell tech stories in this day and age for at least part of the business material on the show. I also think it's clear the Y&R writers have no concept of how to write about it or present it in a serious or compelling way, especially when many of the white-collar lunatics in our world today are in fact tech moguls and this stuff is ripe for use. They keep hearing viewers want business stories, but they don't really know how or want to tell those stories so a lot of this stuff largely feels like feints.

• Members

I'm reminded of that story with Abby and the incubator story that turned into sex trafficking. It's too many companies on this show. I just wish they would have Jabot, Newman and Hamilton-Winters. While Chancellor should be in the background like it has been for years.