Josh Griffith interview from SOD: a whole new YR

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's even harder to watch these crappy corporate stories (Days is at least as bad as Y&R, but I'd say worse in that one regard) when we have stuff like Succession and The Dropout available elsewhere. It makes these goofy "CEO wars" with no detail or nuance seem even more cartoonish.

• Members

I definitely agree.

That's why I pitched in another thread the idea of Allie going to work at Jabot and eventually creating a new cosmetics line that is targeted toward the AAPI community.  The cosmetics industry is changing, as consumers are demanding more and better diversity/representation.  Y&R should definitely reflect those changes.

• Members

Here's how I would handle that situation:

You have Allie, the budding chemical engineer, who follows in her family's footsteps, working at Jabot Labs, until she develops a concept that becomes a cosmetics line for AAPI women; who becomes CONSUMED with guilt when, after spending her entire life never giving a thought to anything but proving herself worthy of her demanding father's love, she falls in love for the first time with her new business partner, the very married Chance...

...and you have Allie's younger, decidedly less serious-minded sister, who has always DREAMED of living in splendor; who sees finally becoming part of the very white, very rich Abbott family as a chance at legitimacy after years of being the target of racism and bigotry, but who also thinks nothing of using her "exotic-ness" as an Asian female to get what she wants, especially from men; and who proves just how big of a schemer she truly is when she lures Ashland, newly estranged from Victoria, into a tryst, fakes a pregnancy to get him to marry her, then conveniently "miscarries" the child while Ashland is away on business.

And no, I would not have Keemo dead either.

• Members

Josh is so talking out of his ass there.  Neil would have wanted Nate to honor his mother's legacy and stay in medicine.  In fact, if Neil (and Drucilla) were alive and still on the canvas, and if Olivia were still on the canvas as well, all three would rage at him for turning his back on his true calling.  Heck, I wouldn't have been surprised if KSJ had ad-libbed a line about the medical profession (and Genoa City Memorial) needing more "bruthas" like Nate to ensure that POC receive the adequate medical care that they deserve!

This was (and is) really the time for Y&R to introduce a Mark Zuckerberg- or Jack Dorsey-type, who blazes into GC with his apps and such and gives Victor, who'd represent the out-of-touch establishment or "old guard," a run for his proverbial money in the tech markets.

GC might have started out small or medium-sized, but I think decades of development and expansion have likely turned it into a metropolis.  At least, that's how I view it.

• Members

That would make more sense.  Nate leaves practicing medicine to work for a medical conglomerate or some such, and then feels conflicted that he isn't doing the kind of work he was trained to do, even though he's still working in the medical field.

Sigh.

Could we just agree that WE, the posters of SON, know and could write this show better than the people who are being paid to?

• Members

In the early days, it seemed like Genoa City was a medium-sized city with business/industrial, old-school wealth. Not quite a bustling Chicago of the 1970s, but perhaps a Milwaukee without the post-industrial decline.