Days of our Lives 3/14/2022 Weekly Preview Promo

Under Doug, Leo wouldn't be so trashy and bitchy.  He would be sophisticated and urban. With no clown suits. We would see lots of therapy scenes with Dr. Michaels. Lisa would take him under her wing. Lisa would regale Leo with tales of her bad girl days. We would see what makes him tick. Through voiceovers/flashbacks and therapy sessions.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's what I'm saying!

And I guess all that would be bad for the folks who believe good soap opera to be hot, shirtless men with lisps spouting catty, innuendo-laced dialogue non-stop.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a particularly outre or camp gay villain like Leo, but when there is no shading to the character plus when he seems like an avatar for the writer's id, that's another story. When everything is spun around the axis of that character for the LGBT canvas, too, it's a problem.

And the reason Chad is a part of this story is because, as I said before, Ron has a long history of using the hot str8 dudes on his soaps as objectification fodder for the audience in the ways he can get away with, almost like Golden Age Hollywood creatives skirting the Hays Production Code - ways he can't get often get away with the actual gay characters in romantic or sexual roles. He can queerbait and use the str8 leading males as eye candy for himself and for the gay and female audience alike and tease the idea that they will cross over into gay behavior at any moment - hence, Chad used as a lure for Leo. But the actual, canonically gay characters are doing what together? On GH they were C-players who just talked about watching gay-coded sitcoms, while the majority of the gay gaze was fixed on the str8 males and homoerotic content for them. And on DAYS, it's all over the map at best even though Will and Sonny are ostensibly leading characters.

I have a lot of time for camp and humor, and I've defended a lot of Ron's comic interludes in the past. His treatment of the Black New Orleans-based drag act that helped shelter Marcie Walsh on OLTL in 2007 was fun and goofy but also had an emotional undercurrent due to the backstory in the scripts. Kish worked too. I don't think Leo is the second coming of the Antichrist. But using him as sort of the purging gay id of Carlivati's writing that can say all the things he wants to, do all the things he wants to and potentially molest the str8 hotties while the actual gay leads are sort of ghettoized into this mess - I just don't think it's productive, and at worst it reinforces a lot of toxic, stereotypical shít. And everyone's issues with the Craig story have already been covered.

Edited by Vee

• Members

Lemay would also have Leo on his soap but not as Campy & sterotypical

Yep Days is just copying this

I do not understand why Craig wanting to be with Leo or a man in general means that he can no longer be in love with Nancy and still be sexually into her too. What we saw from 1998-2005 were a couple that were in love and lust with one another

Does Ron not like Bisexual/ Sexually Fluid Men? I ask that because we have Bisexual/ Sexually Fluid Chanel & Allie with no issues.

• Members

Because, that would take more depth than Ron Carlivati is capable of writing.  (I realize my hero, Douglas Marland, would want me to be more encouraging toward him...but I can't, Mr. Marland.  The guy is a dreadful writer.)

If this were still '70's DAYS, with either Bill Bell or Pat Falken Smith head-writing, we might see a story where Craig IS conflicted between his newfound sexuality and his lingering feelings toward Nancy.  Instead, Nancy has been retconned into Craig's longtime beard, which is cheap, ugly and dishonest, given their portrayals in the past.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Greg Rikaart said in his interview that Leo is around for quite a while.

In contrast, Chandler implied in his recent SOD interview that WilSon are just here for this Leo arc.  Chandler seems genuinely interested in his career in Georgia.   He said he can only drop by Days occasionally for short stints, so the show can't really write stories built around Will.

My impression is that we'll see Sonny more in the future and for longer stints, and Will for shorter less frequent stints. (But I'm not sure. Just interpreting/guessing.)

I'm glad the show is using Chandler's current stint for Will to have scenes with his family.  His scenes with Johnny and with Allie are good today.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

If ZT sticks around, then they'll have to split up Sonny and Will somehow.

You and me both, lol.

Marlena's been possessed by the devil twice.  She, of all people, should recognize when the devil has leapt back into her grandson.

And please tell me Ron Carlivati was not inspired by a certain, former First Lady's infamous jacket.

Edited by Khan