Reilly on DAYS - a renewed appreciation

• Members

To be honest, I didn't mind them putting Bill to rest since all the long-term actors have passed away and unless they wanted to invest with a recast (which could always go either way) there was little point. Killing off Laura on the other hand was epically stupid.

Edited by te.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This has to be the worst thing Ron has done. Here I was, marveling at the great casting of Miller and McClain, noticing how they really do look like family with Jaime Lyn Bauer. I thought, man, they've really got it! And then it was over.

• Members

100%. And it didn't really give a long-term impact since sleeping with her husband and getting pregnant with his child did the whole bitter enemies thing either way between Abby / Gwen.

Add that Laura could've been useful in this current Mardevil mess.

Edited by te.

• Members

Gosh, Maison Blanche was captivating story! and dragged for sooo long! as sad as it was, tom Horton's death during June 1994 was heartbreaking but beautifully dealt - loved seeing many loved ones return to say goodbye. 

• Members

It felt like John/Marlena were held captive for months but I am sure that's not true lol.  Who was even watching Belle/Brady?  Once Jen, Billie, and Kristen decided to hold that party it moves quickly.  I love MB too.  I flip back and forth with that and Aremid as my favorite arc.   A lot happens at Maison Blanche, but I feel like more happens in Aremid to a lot more characters if that makes sense?  But everything ties in so seamlessly from MB to the Possession to Aremid.  It was so well thought out.  By Paris, it just felt like JER needed a summer event so why not a Cage and underground city in Paris lol.

• Members

RC was always so blandly handsome to me.  Attractive, but nothing wow.  It looks like MV doesn't have much going on these days, but he's still pretty hot.  Jason Brooks is the comeback I am waiting for.  Dump Missy permanently and get Peter Blake back.

• Members

I haven't seen it since it originally aired, but I still remember the prison shower transition from Mark Valley to Steve Wilder, lol.

I have a special affection for Reilly era Days. When I was in middle school and high school a Canadian station aired Days at 4 and then Y&R at 5, so they were the shows everyone at school was watching (there was also a Seattle based talked show that aired at 3 which had a soap recap section, so even though I wasn't able to watch other shows consistently throughout the year, I was at least able to follow them and be up to date come summer).

I've been revisiting the era via Jarlena edits recently and I'm enjoying it just as much now as I remember enjoying it then - this was an easy version of the show to get hooked on.

• Members

Michael Weiss was my favorite Mike Horton.  I always found Roark bland in the part.

And both Belle and Brady were watched by Shawn and Caroline, with an angry Roman constantly there to hold Belle and almost decide he wanted Marlena back before getting angry and stomping out the door.

It made sense and was even in character- Roman could be very bull headed.  His early relationship with Bo is full of conflict.  But I still think they did Wayne wrong.

• Members

RC was pretty bland as Mike until they added Carrie and Nancy/Craig/Crazy Ali to the mix.  That was literally the first time he got an actual story I think.  I think with so many recasts and weird aging and de-aging Mike is just a pretty ill-defined character.  

You would think Roman would know Marlena well enough that he wouldn't believe she would leave her baby at home to galivant with John on an extended vacation, but oh well.  Also, way to put Shawn/Caroline in an awkward position John and Marlena lol!

The Roman stuff did make sense and was in character for Wayne's Roman. It really was a huge betrayal.  Not the just the affair, but the lies, and the baby not being his.  They did Wayne wrong.  The show wrote him into a corner because the way he treated Marlena pre/post-Affair made you want her to end up with John.  I don't think Roman ever got a true clear point of view when he returned.  He was in prison for 7 years waiting to be with his family only to find out he was easily replaced by a 'better' version.  That must suck.  Instead of the show going with that organic problem, they put Roman/Marlena on the backburner and had him leave for long periods of time on cases and basically be a jerk to his wife and entire family.  One of my favorite set of scenes in the affair storyline is the fight Roman/Marlena have right before she's thrown into the pit.  It was good work by WN/DH and really got to the crux of their problems.

I have always thought it would have been interesting to keep Wayne and have Roman stay on the canvas.  Clearly, JER wanted Jarlena as endgame, but there was a lot of time when John was 100% pursuing Kristen where Marlena could have dealt with Roman and the fallout of the affair.  It was so strange the show did much of the fallout without Roman and without Eric.  I get Roman had to be gone for the Possession to happen, but the Roman character was still so important back then.