The 80's, the best decade of them all!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I noticed one day a couple of weeks ago that my cable has the GAC network. Among the shows they air reruns of is Silver Spoons. I hadn't really watched it since I was a kid. It brought me right back to the 1980s, and yet it holds up very well because the cast has so much chemistry. There were THREE child actors on the show who went on to successful careers as adult actors: Ricky Schroder, Jason Bateman and a pre-Carlton, break-dancing Alfonso Ribeiro. 

It's too bad Ricky Schroder grew up to go full-fledged MAGA, because he really was an engaging young performer. It's really been fun rediscovering this show. Who didn't love the train in the living room or the mallard duck phone that quacked for a ringtone?

• Members

Such a great music decade, even though it had gotten a bad rap for a lot of its very dated hit ballads and tinny synth-based production. So many genres really flourished and made good on the advancements of the ‘70s (dance music, hip-hop, alternative and New Wave out of punk and glam rock). Sexuality was bolder and more thoughtful. I love really Pet Shop Boys, New Order, The Smiths, Madonna’s ‘80s hits, Prince, Erasure, et al.

• Members

1980s music to me will forever be defined by four artists: Michael Jackson, Madonna, Whitney Houston, Janet Jackson.

1990s music to me was the R&B/Hip Hop decade, from New Jack Swing to West Coast Gangsta Rap to East Coast Rap. 1998 was probably the last good year for music. It's been downhill since then.

I was born in November of the same year. I came early my mom went into premature labor. Her due date was Jan of 1975. One of the things i love about the 80's was how cheap comics were. How accessible they were. There was always something fun to watch on tv. Saturday Morning cartoons were awesome. Weekday after school cartoons were awesome. Playing with friends on Halloween. Wearing cheap Halloween costumes. From Woolworth's which ended up torn to pieces. I feel like wasn't invited to party. But i wanted to reply to the thread non the less. 

Edited by victoria foxton