The 80's, the best decade of them all!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Though the 1980s is not exactly considered the high point for autos, one of my favorite cars ever--and undoubtedly my favorite car of the decade--was the 1986 Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable.

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-american/curbside-classic-1986-ford-taurusmercury-sable-at-this-moment-you-mean-everything/

It's sad that Ford really dropped the ball with their ugly 1996 redesign of the Taurus and Sable. Though the '86 Taurus/Sable essentially saved the company, the only car Ford sells as of 2021 is the Mustang; all other Ford models are SUVs, light trucks, or vans. Even stranger, IMO, is that Lincoln has an all-SUV lineup (as has Buick, though that marque is obviously part of General Motors).

On an entirely different matter, I'm surprised that nobody has discussed '80s mall culture, since I think that was one of the best characteristics of the decade. The TV show "How I Met Your Mother" did this parody of '80s mall culture (though this parody supposedly occurred in 1993; the joke was that Canada is five years behind in everything):

Here's an iconic '80s song--sung by an iconic '80s artist--whose music video was filmed in various malls in Utah:

I've never watched "Stranger Things" (nor have I watched "How I Met Your Mother"), but the show did an amazing job of remaking a portion of an actual dead mall--in this case, the Gwinnett Place Mall in Duluth, Georgia--into a fictional '80s mall:

Somebody on YouTube made a comment--with which I'd concur--that he'd be willing to pay the same amount of money one normally pays to go to Disney World to be able to go to a mall like this in real life.

Edited by Max

• Members

If there is one miniseries that epitomizes the 80s for me it's Lace. I'm sure everyone has their own favourite but this is mine. And the Lace theme music takes me back in time like no other piece of music does, not even the themes to Dynasty or Falcon Crest. It brings out so much nostalgia it's almost painful....