B&B: Bold from the beginning

• Members

I have fallen behind on my viewing of these uploads but I saw Caroline’s story arc in real time when it originally aired so it won’t be a spoiler to me. Even as a kid, I found Johnson really impressive, right up to her final scenes. I do think that there was an enormous amount of competition in what would have been her category back then and Joanna Johnson gave understated performances (beautifully understated) and I have given my thoughts on how Daytime Emmy awards committee/academy seemed to be biased against understated performances, seemingly in favor of performances that veered toward being more melodramatic. No knock against those performances that can come off as more exciting in clips, but an understated performance reveals its depth and power over time, not necessarily in a 10 second clip, which is how most voters are judging (do we really believe that the voters are taking the time to watch entire episodes of these shows?)

Another aspect that I wonder about is whether people in nominating process of the Daytime Emmys had doubts about the sustainability of B&B and opted to “invest” nominations in the series that they believed had assured longevity. As a 30 minute serial, it may have caused a bit of doubt as to how long it could last on air. Capitol and even Ryan’s Hope ending before the end of the 1980s may have planted seeds of doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

For me, she's what really made the show must see. She was just superb in the role. The Logans as a family just weren't working, and the Spectras gave that contrast to the Forresters. I'm still mad over Macy being killed....twice!

• Members

Same here! The Spectras are my all time favorite group of characters and my main reason for rewatching the classic episodes. And I am still mad over Macy's (pointless and poorly written) second death too - if they hadn't done that, I actually believe the Spectras would have had a fair chance of staying viable past DC's real life death a few years later, and they might still be around today.

• Members

I'm a few months into 1989 and Sally and Macy instantly fit in and have brought so much to the show. It's sad that the revival is what it was. I hated all the nick-named parody characters and the fact that it didn't have any basis in their history. I agree that they could've done a better job at bringing them back. Had it not been a gimmick, they would've lasted longer.

• Members

I am a bit on the fence about the Spectra revival. It had the potential to work really well either as an homage to the original Spectra gang, or as a new generation of Spectra characters, but the show didn't really invest enough in either of these possibilities. 

If it was a nod to the original Spectras, they should have played up the parallels between past and present even MORE and really developed modern takes on the old storylines and characters. 

If it was a new generation of Spectras, they should have made them LESS obvious copies of past characters and instead anchored the new Spectras to actual legacy characters like Macy and CJ.

The way it was, I felt they did a bit of both but lost interest too quickly. They lost a lot of momentum by not immediately recasting Thomas so they could have kept the business side going. A lot of the relationships were underdeveloped, like Sally/Coco (who were the equivalent of Sally/Macy and thus should have been central), Coco/RJ (where I feel they should have milked the Romeo and Juliet parallel for all it was worth and really tormented the poor kids), and Sally/Saul (I will NEVER FORGIVE the show for passing up the OBVIOUS opportunity to have Saul unleash all his secret love for Sally in a Broadway style musical number!). I feel the Tawny Moore-like grandmother kind of dominated the group and prevented those other relationships from developing. 

Like so many other storylines of recent years, the Spectra revival was a premise that had me cheering at first but in the end left me disappointed because it did not live up to its potential.

Edited by Videnbas

• Members

This! And I wished they would've included CJ more into this. It seemed when they brought him back, he was over Spectra.

Darlita and Saul Jr. should've been their own characters instead of being clones of their protypes.

Edited by Forever8

• Members

In My Opinion if Macy was Alive at the time Sally Jr would probably be her kid not some long lost niece

You know it would really make sense, With Thorne being Spectra's Lead Designer would work with the antagonism they tried to build with Thorne and Ridge, as he wanted to undermine Ridge and prove he was more competent then why not do it out of Forrester