Nancy Curlee and Stephen Demorest interview

• Members

I'm happy that they have nothing but good stuff to say about JER. I know he gets a bad rap in the industry, but he was always good at the basics, and in my opinion had he avoided the sci-fi stuff I think the industry would've held him in a much higher regard (especially if paired up with the likes of Curlee, Demorest on his team). 

Edited by MichaelGL

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's just a damn f.ucking shame we don't have writers like this anymore - not that they would be allowed to thrive in this daytime climate though.

JFP came back from a focus group and said Ellen Parker was not rating well, and that she wanted to do something with Ed...

Once they knew they were going to lose Ellen Parker, they wanted to make it "count" and wanted to "blast the heart out of it." 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

Nancy says she misses serial writing - and she regrets leaving her career after GL. She said she would have killed to write a primetime serial.

Nancy said she was in negotiations to HW GH - this would have been after the Labine's were thrown out and Guza came in.

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

His first period at DAYS, before the possession, was classic and worked incredibly well.  I loved the possession at first, but by the end he kind of settled into really slowly moving stories and characters talking to themselves all the time as a style.  Everyone got really stupid, and over the top.  Which he then carried over to Passions.  It didn’t work for me, but I’ve never said he was a bad writer.

It’s like Guza at GH- it wasn’t for me.  But I can’t deny that he was a strong writer.  It was just all misery.

• Members

I think she would have been great with Riche and her writing for Roger makes me think she could have given Tony Geary what he wanted without making Luke so awful.

According to Claire, the Labine’s left on their own to try to launch a new show of their own.  They were finally back in a groove of new things happening when they left after Stone had dominated the prior 6 months.

• Administrator

That’s great to hear they had nice things to say about Reilly.

Please register in order to view this content

He definitely had those qualities.  Not going to read more posts - I want to be spoiler free when listening to this interview. LOL

• Members

Imagine working for a show where you have to "fight" to get Nia Long on the show. The soaps always had issues, even in the "good old days".

Curlee laid it down that the focus groups were pretty much no bueno when it came to effective writing.

She did mention the...wait for it...six month rule in being able to write Holly and Roger getting together after all that bitter history because Roger raped Holly.

• Members

This. I've always given Reilly credit for understanding the basics of a soap opera, for knowing the formula that works. He can be very frustrating on his own accord but when paired with other good writers to balance him out, and push them to do "more", it worked.