Nancy Curlee and Stephen Demorest interview

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Re Maureen/Roger, theirs was such a fascinating dynamic. Maureen saw the good qualities in Roger, and while Roger didn't care about what the rest of Springfield thought of him, he cared about what Maureen thought of him. You could see hints of that when Roger and Maureen were trapped together during the blackout and when Roger visited Maureen's grave. Perhaps secretly deep down Roger might have been a little in love with Maureen but I don't think he ever would admit it or act on it. I think having Maureen turn to Roger in the aftermath of learning about the Ed/Lillian affair and Roger helping Maureen and Michelle leave Springfield and start over somewhere else might have played out better than killing off Maureen.

• Members

I like that Mo saw the good in Roger but didn't make excuses for him...later on with people like Jonathon (no comparison to Roger intended) they had people propping him up as he was just a big a** hole.  There was plenty of story for Ed with Mo still on the canvas..it is all b.s. JFP wanted to not only bring on her boy Deas to stink up the show but she wanted to make the Coopers the core family and obscure the Bauers and couldnt with Mo alive.  Mo could have left Ed and moved to the Boardinghouse with Chele and helped Bridget cover up her pregnancy...(this would need Bridget to lie to Mo on who the daddy was but it could have worked with this team.) Ed, left on his own becomes the drunk asshat that was always inside of him but had his Mom and then Mo around he held it back. Sides are taken...Van is torn, Holly supports Ed while everyone things she is still in love with him, Bridget is torn, Lillian becomes the new unexpected "slut of Springfield" in everyone's eyes. I think having Mo live gave Ed more story as he could go off the rails and there would still be safety net. Maybe a good time to bring Mike back to knock some sense into Ed and maybe its Mike and Mo who get together. So much could have happened..

• Members

Re JFP/Justin Deas/Cooper family. Pamela Long created Harley, Frank, Nadine, Pops. Nancy Curlee expanded the family with Stavros and Eleni before JFP arrived. It was posted in the They Almost Became thread and in the GL thread that CBS/P&G originally offered the part of Buzz Cooper to Terry Lester but he turned it down to take Royce Keller on As the World Turns and Terry himself even said this in an interview. Were any other actors were considered for Buzz before JFP got her friend Justin Deas hired? Although the Coopers were already on the canvas, JFP wanted them to become the main family as a showcase for Deas, which is pretty much what we saw in the aftermath of Maureen's death until Nancy Curlee left the writing team.

Side note, Terry Lester was not a Buzz. Someone in the GL thread suggested him as an Alan recast in 1994, I wonder how he would've done in that role.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Really sorry I missed this when it aired, I spoke with Nancy once, and told her she was my favorite head writer and how much I loved Guiding Light while she was writing.  She was so gracious and nice.  She was in North Carolina at the time.