• Members

While I hear what you are saying, I am not sure I agree with the point you are making applies to the characters you are listing.

Now until the amnesia story I fully agree that Sonny's place on the show was a bit off because his "status" kind of cornered the writers. But the Mike story kept him busy for a while and now this, so it is not like they are running out of ideas. I do think his days as a lead are numbered but they are not quite at the drought yet.

Olivia has been a second-tier character for almost the entirety of her run. Which is fine! We need those! But none of her story read "front-burner" to me even when they were playing out. I am glad she survived and I like her and Ned. But she has always had a weird place on the show. Not burnout as much as a likeable but disposable character that managed to endure.

Maxie is clearly not lacking for story. Now, is this the right kind of story for that character? No. They shifted the character onto something different from what she was supposed to be, as discussed often on the forum. There are questions HOW they are going to make her rebound from the Peter story although the baby drama will keep her busy for a while. But so far I don't think it is a character burnout rather than a character being changed to keep her in story. That version of the character is not as interesting but it has life in terms of story.

Dante indeed has had a weird run since his return. I continue to think Lulu's exit was weird and was probably decided, for whatever reason, after they signed him back. So he has been in limbo. But the potential is still there and while I am not over the moon over Sam/Dante, I am looking forward to all the layers of a drama that are peeking out over that quadriangle with Britt and Jason.

Finally, yes. I agree that Sam has character burnout. The Jason pairing sucked the life out of her - although I'd argue it happened almost as soon as they got paired up and she just became "Jason's other half" vs the more interesting character of the beginnings. And even THAT pairing ran out of steam. Let's see where the Dante pairing takes her but I haven't been interested in her in forever and I don't think the writers have either.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I am sure there is always things to disagree with; soaps are such a subjective matter.

But I do take your kind words to heart; I really do. I'm glad I started becoming more active last year after years of silent reading. Thank you!

• Members

I agree with you.

I think Sam feels refreshed with Dante, personally. I like the rapport they have. It's not setting the world on fire but I'd much rather watch them than Michael and Wallow.

Olivia is supporting. That's fine. She's not a lead. Lisa Lo is fantastic so that's probably why they use her so much. 

Sonny is a dying character, IMO. This saved him for a while and I much prefer "Mike" to Sonny. Can he never get his memory back? Although the Nina aspect feels like it's starting to drag and spin it's wheels. What WOULD save him is bringing Brenda back in the future. But it feels time to drop him as a lead. It's time for supporting. Too bad his kids are poorly cast ...

I'd have agreed on Maxie up until she FINALLY gave birth. I see the Maxie I should have been seeing. I mean, she and Lulu were literally becoming the same person.

I like Jason and Britt even though they've Sam'd her up a bit. She's just a taller Sam (who used to be interesting, believe it or not) but it works. She's a better match. 

I can kinda see where the poster was coming from, I'm assuming what they really mean to say is they're tired of these characters and want a break. I can get that. I'm kinda tired of most of them too.

For all the faults (Frank manipulation; Roger Howarth having his zillionth role on the show), I think Dan and Chris did a decent job shaking up the canvas and the stale couples.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I agree; that's why I started by saying I hear what they were saying before nitpicking the specific characters used as examples.

I do think the *ensemble* would need a new character that is really radically different and would upset the apple cart completely for the entire dynamic of the show. Unfortunately I don't see who, what, how (well I do know it can't be played by an actor, however talented, who already played three other front-burner characters on the show).

But I hear the underlying complaint that we have not had anything new and groundbreaking and completely different in forever and I think that might explain the feeling of stagnation.
But that's not easy to do - even a real tall order - and GH is actually doing pretty well with what they have, especially compared with how much the other three shows have been spinning their wheels of recent times.

• Members

It does kind of prove that Sonny is not needed on the canvas. Despite everything with Cyrus, his family seems to be doing fine without him. 

And he has really seemed to settle into that simple life in Nixon Falls really well. We all know that he’s going to go back eventually, but the whole storyline in a way was almost refreshing for his character 

Edited by AbcNbc247

• Members

Good perspectives! For the characters I listed, I think Maxie was better when she was the fashionista with the bitchy edge, up until the baby stories. Yes she's been kept on the canvas consistently but not in a way on par with her earlier years. I suppose for Olivia that's her function.. just be there as a talk to character.  Early was Dante was cool. The way he was charismatic, had energy and stood up to Sonny.  Since Lulu was recast I haven't really been into his character as much. He reminds me of Patrick, really interesting in the beginning, more calm and less energetic toward the end.

Everyone seems to agree on Sonny and Sam. Both actors appear very checked out. Sonny stammers through his lines. I think the last time Sonny was truly a strong character was confronting Claudia at the birthday party for Michael's shooting. Sam brings no emotion other than sigs and stressed body language half the time.

Edited by ironlion

• Members

I hope so! I’m sure they do.

Reminds me of Office Space…

Please register in order to view this content

Can we just keep Sonny this way for a while… or permanently like they’ve done with Jason?

Good seizure acting from Swickard.

Edited by Faulkner