Days: May 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I feel bad for Kate. She was already insecure about her relationship with Jake and was hesitant to even get involved with him, and he literally moved on a day later and is telling Gabi he loves her, like the Kate relationship never happened.

• Members

I think I would feel a lot worse for Kate if I bought the Jake relationship at all.  Kate has had like a million love interests in her time on the show.  It's hard to invest in any of her relationships.  The last time I bought a Kate relationship was her/Roman or her/John.  Age appropriate love interests....  Jake is an ass for doing that to her and Gabi should want more, but Kate will be fine lol.  Think about Kate's love interests through the years:

• Bill
  • Curtis (not really a love interest but her ex hubby)
  • Victor
  • Roman
  • John
  • Stefano
  • Clyde
  • Rafe
  • Ian
  • Daniel
  • EJ
  • Nicholas Alamain
  • Ted
  • Andre
  • Deimos
  • Eduardo
  • Jake
  • I am sure I am missing some, but that's off the top of my head

Honestly, good for Kate, but she is practically Salem's one woman welcoming committee for Salem's new men on canvas.

• Members

I am glad I am not the only one who liked Kate/John and was frustrated they dropped it. Of course the endgame would always have been Jarlena but I wish Jarlena fans understood how much they hurt the characters by reacting viciously to any attempt to do something with the individual characters that didn't involve each other.
Either way, I am sure Kate will be fine and swear revenge and it will be fun enough but I agree it kind of does not speak well of Jake as a character. I really enjoy BB but this is yet another in a long list of soap "why did they kill the character off if they were going to rehire the actor in a less-interesting lookalike role soon after?"

• Members

I am a die hard Jarlena fan.  I have loved them since 1991.  By far my favorite couple on Days to this day lol.   But I liked John/Kate.  They were hot.  It was something different.  They thought their spouses were dead.   It's a soap. There should have been more conflict with John/Kate/Roman/Marlena after they returned but after Roman/Marlena's geriatric pregnancy JER just moved into the ridiculous Alex North story and Kate/John haven't acknowledged they were engaged since 2006.  I get Jarlena fans were mad, but did anyone ever think Jarlena wasn't endgame?   Kate's been through a million pairings since then and I honestly think she fits better in her own age group.  LK is super gorgeous and looks great, but she needs to be involved with her family and age appropriate love interests.  

Jake sucks.  It's a shame they killed off Stefan and I do like BB, but this character is a miss.  I don't even think him and CB have much chemistry this time around.

• Members

I'm a huge cynic about Days and Corday in general, but that video is very sweet, especially watching Susan Seaforth Hayes. That woman really has seen it all.

The NBC exec at the end is likely just giving them happy talk til the next crackdown from above her, but she is right: The show was family for people who couldn't see theirs. That is the essence of the genre in hard times and it's something it's mostly lost sight of when it comes to output and quality. I just wish the audience that was so loyal to these surrogate families, and the actors who have seen it all, were better served by the product.

Edited by Vee

• Members

I'm not here for Gabi/Jake. Those scenes of them professing their love to each other were so corny and cringey. This pairing will always be strange to me since Gabi's attraction to Jake stems from the fact that he's identical to her dead husband.

So Kristen now has Sami, Lucas, AND Chloe as hostages. Lord. Make it stop. Kristen needs a LONG break in prison after this. I don't have any interest in Brady/Chloe but it's time to have Brady be done with Kristen and move on. This story would still be complete trash with ED in the role, by the way. I love her but come on. This is awful.

Sami and Lucas are the only bright spot in this story. They are so much fun.

I like Nicole but wouldn't mind her being written out at this point. Why doesn't she just go to Africa to be with Eric? Eric constantly extending his stay in Africa is dumb and I have no interest in watching Nicole cheat on him with Xander and pining after Rafe of all people. Boring.

I love how Ben is irrelevant and barely being used now that Ciara is gone.

• Members

We have talked plenty about the downsides of doppleganger story but you touch on something important: it is understandable for a character to be drawn to someone who looks exactly like someone they loved and lost.

But the fact they systematically end up trying to recreate the coupling ends up being insulting. Love is not just about physical attraction and it is a little too convenient that the resemblance ends up leading to love everytime despite the fact these are supposed to be completely different characters.

I would have rather he be Stefan even if it would have made no sense. I like BB but this sucks.

• Members

100% agree on Kristen and that even with ED in the role this storyline would be too much.  I remember years ago when ED was playing about 4 or more characters including Susan, Kristen, Sister Mary Moira, and a brother, another sister, it was totally too much, it even took a toll on ED, who ended up quitting the show soon after.   I agree 100% about Nicole and Eric, Nicole should've either been written off with Eric, or Eric should've been recast by now.  I can understand a rest of 3 or so months, but now this story is stupid. Sounds like Eric doesnt care anything about Nicole, Holly or the rest of his family.  I think they should have Eric to be having an affair with that cute black chick that asked him to go back to Africa. 

• Members

I woudn't trust those NBC execs for a minute but everyone is playing nice.

Amazing to see Bill Hayes there - what a role model for growing older.

NBC should be doing something of a  salute to him- he worked there in the 1950's.

Seeing Albert Alarr there (yikes - that shirt!!) makes me wish someone would question him and others about their vision for the show.They seem dedicated and enthused but some of what gets to air makes you question that.

I guess they feel that part of Days DNA is outlandish plots that dumb everything down.

Would be nice if they aimed a little higher.

• Members

See the problem is the latter part of that sentence, not the former.

Let's be blunt: part of Days DNA *is* outlandish plots, we can't deny it. But there is no reason outlandish camp plots have to be dumb. They can be layered and complicated and fun and entertaining rather than groan-worthy.
There have been plenty of outlandish plots over the years that worked for a reason or another: the subtext around family for a lot of DiMera plots for instance. 
But noawadays we are closer (although not quite there yet) to Garden of Eden trials stuff than quality. It is dumb, which is bad enough, but it is tedious more than anything.