Days: May 2021 Discussion Thread

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I cannot get over the inappropriate chemistry Gwen/Jack have.  It's uncomfortable.

Did Sami and Lucas get out of the secret room okay?  Did Marlena just give up her Chloe search?  That story probably should have been on today.

I did like the Shawn/Jan/Belle stuff even if it was sorta dumb.

Ugh to Ben/Claire. This is such a predictable story.  

• Members

Do we need to find a new term for the immature 40 year old's in Salem?  Perhaps we could call it SOSEPAS (soap opera sluggish emotional & physical aging syndrome)?

Why doesn't DAYS allow Sami, Nicole, Ava, Lucas, Shawn, Belle, and Brady to act like they're middle aged?  Most of them have kids in their 20s.  Shouldn't they be concerned about not having to live with their parents, settling down, or saving for retirement?  Shouldn't Nicole or Sami lament their inability to maintain a stable relationship this late in life?  Shouldn't Brady and Lucas worry about their virility given the age of their partners?  Does even one Dimera dismay at the dwindling generational fortunes brought on by multiple divorces (Stefano had a lot of kids, but never owed this much child support)?  I was watching a scene from 2008 (the Sami/Nicole baby switch), 13 years ago, and the character have not matured at all. 

Marlena, John, and Maggie were allowed to age gracefully.  In comparison, this generation of characters who peaked at their prom, seem stunted.  And don't get me started on those single shade dye jobs to cover the guy's grey hair.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Or just 911?  Maybe Ben was the last person she contacted so she just hit call on that contact.  It was stupid and I noticed it right away and thought the same thing lol.

Well, GH pretty much dominated with some very questionable nominees.  I can't really think of any Days actor that was robbed?   But, lol, about the writing snub. 

I'm not really enjoying the last couple of months. This has to be one Ron's worst periods. I do wish the show had more sets So they could tell their crappy stories. I'm glad the show has been renewed. But i not sure i can stick with it . If all we get is really bad writing. And really bad production values.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

Honestly not even quite sure what Tamara Braun - who is a lovely actress - did to justify her being nominated.
To be entirely fair, though, unlike other shows, Days producers *really* don't write to showcase their actors for Emmys. Every other show has scenes and episodes that scream "Emmy reel" for this or that actor and that's not something that Days does *at all*. 
On the contrary when their actors have big scenes, they often seem to edit them over several episodes or write them in ways that undermine their potential as a showcase. It is strange.

Unpopular opinion on that note: I don't really think Deirdre Hall's lack of career noms have been really snubs. That's one tough category she was in and I never felt she belonged there over any of the other ladies who were nominated each year. She had some good moments here and there but never anything that felt like WOW she should have been nominated for an Emmy although, to be fair, neither did Susan Lucci (who was probably nominated because the losing streak's fame in pop culture tickled the people voting for the Emmys)

I will also be honest: as much as I enjoy the fact Cady earned one more nom for three months work than Missy has been able to snag since 1992, her nomination as well as Kim Delaney's is probably more because the panel recognized their names than anything they really did on the show. It is particularly striking for Delaney whose character on GH so far has been a big pile of nothing. But still, if it gets Cady in full time, a job well-done.

• Members

I think TB got the nod on name recognition.  She did nothing that great as Ava this year.  And I love TB.  She is my favorite Carly.  I am actually shocked TB got a nod over Stacy Haiduk,  I figured SH was a shoe-in.

I agree that Days doesn't showcase it's actors very well for Emmys.  People like Ali Sweeney, Arianne Zucker, Peter Reckell, Stephen Nichols, Mary Beth Evans, etc., etc.  should have more Emmy love for their days work.

Deidre did some really great work back in the day.  I was watching some stuff recently with DJ's death and her rape and I thought she was great.  She's devolved into weird tics and gasping throughout the years, but I probably would have given her at least a nod for the Possession.  Not because she was so great, but it was a pretty groundbreaking story and, like you said, Susan Lucci didn't do anything more some years she was nominated.  DH was pretty good with the Pit/Affair stuff too, but the competition was pretty stiff.  I can't really think of anything in the last 25 years where I thought she did anything astounding, but I am sure there are moments.  I think I heard once she notoriously picked bad reels as well.

Is Kim Delaney even a guest star?  Isn't she pretty heavily recurring?   Even Cady McClain, to me, is iffy as a guest star.  George Delhoyo as Orpheus is a guest star.  I guess Victoria Platt is a good example too, but I don't know how she got a nomination.  I had to look up who she played again because I forgot and I watch Days regularly lol.

• Members

Eric Martsolf and Stacy Haiduk were really good today. Brady dumping Kristen was a long time coming and I was not disappointed with their scenes. Hoping that Brady and Chloe reunite.

I still think that Mike Manning and Lindsay Arnold deserved nominations