BBC plans to set new soap North of England

• Members

https://www.digitalspy.com/soaps/waterloo-road/a37702336/waterloo-road-return-bbc-one-new-episodes-axed/

This appears to be one of the ‘new’ northern set soap/drama series Holby City was axed for.

To be fair, it was wildly popular for a period of time, and even possibly slightly contributed to the demise of The Bill.

But most of the characters that made it popular have been killed off. So it’ll be interesting to see if the production team can craft characters as captivating as those before.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm not surprised. Almost everything gets rebooted, re-imagined, or sequalized. This is going to have instant brand name over a new show. It will be interesting to see if any past characters come back, how they handle the Scotland era that was mostly hated, and what the quality and tone will be. 

• Members

i wish i could feel happy about it but that they cancel my Holby City for it is something i can't get over it. I won't support this

Please register in order to view this content

Holby City will end after 23 seasons/series for a new show no one asked for. Even some Holby story may be a bit dragging and annoying it still has a great cast and could bounce back.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If I remember correctly, without watching it, I think this is from the production company run by Paul Marquess? 

For someone who ruined so many soaps, he’s clearly got the inside track on what gets them commissioned in the first place. Plus, he’s found his niche with police-based dramas.

• 8 months later...
  • Members

Yes. I used to say that Emmerdale of all the soaps was the one that managed to still have relatively decent quality with 6 (they've had since for 10+ years), but the bottom of the show has really fallen out over the last 5 years. I don't believe any UK soap should have more than 4 episodes a week, and even that is pushing it. 

• Members

I'd say three eps a week would suffice for the UK soaps. I wish the American shows had returned to a 30-minute format a long time ago. It would be strange to have them airing only three days a week, perhaps, but even chopping the running time in half might force them to eliminate all the dead wood from their casts, and maybe allow them to focus on quality over quantity.

• Members

Being a 30-minute show hasn't done that for Emmerdale. According to the cast list on Wikipedia Emmerdale currently has 61 (!) regular characters, and 25 recurring characters.

Please register in order to view this content

I know that Wikipedia might not be absolutely correct, but at least it gives an indication.