BBC plans to set new soap North of England

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It’s widely known that, save for the loyal U.K. audience and the financial investment by Channel 5, Neighbours would have been axed years ago.

The ratings in Australia haven’t been good for a long time, hence it being moved from Network 10 to their digital platform.

And no, I can’t assist with numbers, I’m afraid.

I think Home and Away stands a little more on its own and remains on Network 7 in Australia.

Which is interesting because I personally found the efforts of producers and senior writers Louise Bowes and Lucy Addario uninspiring, to the extent I stopped watching. I hear the show has found its groove but I’m too far removed to get back into it.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I stopped watching Holby a few years ago, because the quality of the show got so bad. Ratings wise, the show hasn't been doing well either, so it's not a complete surprise, but it's still shocking. 

Even though it's not exactly the same, feels almost like when CBS announced Guiding Light got axed. The dam has now been broken. If you can axe a 23 year old Holby, you can EastEnders. I've long felt that the UK soaps have been largely on the same path as ours, just on a 10-15 year delay. 

While I don't think Casualty or EastEnders will get cancelled right away, those two shows should consider this an early warning to get their [!@#$%^&*] together. 

I don't have much confidence in a new northern soap. Corrie and Emmerdale viewers aren't going to switch. Plus their existing main soap, EastEnders is in terrible shape, perhaps fix that fist. 

• Members

And later we learned the cast and crew were only told ONE HOUR before the press was informed. This type of thing might even make Frons shake his head. 

The fate of the UK soaps breaks my heart. We have seen them go exactly the same way, and frankly, I'd say a few are actually worse than a number of US soaps were at their time of death.

• Members

It's been quite some time since Holby City aired here, but I watched the first few years and it was a pleasant enough show. I did lose interest after Anton Meyer (George Irving) left. He was definitely my favourite character on the show. But although it's been so long since then it's still a little sad to hear about the show's cancellation.