Y&R March 2021 Discussion Thread

• Members

Y&R's handling of its black cast has been mind-boggling for a long time.
My current criticism, which to be fair is linked to KsJ's passing which is not their fault, is the complete lack of sense of family. The black cast is already written as an island as a matter of course (even back in the Winters/Barber days) but now it is an island of isolated characters.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I just want to be on a fly on the wall behind the scenes. Would be much more enlightening and exciting than watching this show.

At least they realized they needed a “secret” to be revealed with the Chelsea faking the severity of her stroke complications and scheming against Adam, but that’s a steaming pile of “who cares?”

• Members

KSJ's passing may have severed the thread between Y&R's most loyal black fans and the show. Y&R lost a huge tie to its illustrious history. His presence alone in scenes elicited warm feelings from the audience. He was a tentpole character.  

When I think of the 'core black cast' on Y&R, I can only really think of 3 people -- Bryton James, Mishael Morgan and Christel Khalil. Youngish though they are, and as vibrant and popular as some of them might be -- 3 flitting in and out is just not enough. 

• Members

Not to be morbid, but, with all of the eyes on the show during that tragic time, that was an opportunity to pass the baton, but nope. Unlike with Jeanne Cooper’s real-life passing, no story really came out of it. (In actuality, Neil had been so thoroughly diminished that there wasn’t really a baton to be passed.) 

• Members

Technically there was not, in the sense that there was very little material at that time for the Winters et al.

However, knowing how popular Mishael had been (I think she was off the show when he passed away?). Seeing Victoria Rowell imbuing the screen with feeling and purpose. I honestly felt inspired by what a part of Y&R's canvas could be like? People involved in the episode spoke beautifully and meaningfully and, seeing him on the screen at his peak? Yes, it felt like we had lost somebody really special and important... and the state of Y&R was not in a good place... but seeing past and present actors talk about Kristoff, it just reminded me of the potential. The history of and links between these characters. It activated what little imagination I have! It was a lovingly put together episode, which made me hope it might have inspired TPTB too. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I like Mishael Morgan but killing off Hilary and the whole lookalike business doesn't work for me. I hate those stories and I resent the whole leaving and coming back soon afterwards. I am not connecting with Amanda. She is a great actress but I sadly stopped to care.

At least having her as a new character was an opportunity to build up a new AA family but the whole point of her story so far is that that's not going to happen.
You know you are in trouble when Days of Our Lives is doing a better job building up its AA cast family and B&B is giving more interesting stories to its AA actors.

One reason YR was #1 for so long was on the strength of its AA audience. While it is not entirely their fault in the first place, the way they are letting this bad situation fester is going to come back and bite them in the behind.

• Members

Use it as a jumping-off point to generate renewed energy in that part of the canvas and really honor his legacy in a way that carried the show forward. Plant a seed. Get Neil a secret in his will that Devon and Lily have to uncover. Something. Y&R hadn’t been in the public eye like that in years, and like you say, I had modestly hope that the outpouring of support would have at least inspired them to recognize the goldmine that they’d ignored for years. To no avail.

And, to add, of course they used those scenes to win the show Emmys.

• Members

I really sympathize with the dilemna they have. Neil's passing could have been a jumping point to bring back Malcolm or Drucilla. But Shemar Moore ain't coming back and VR has burned her bridges. I wish TLW would recur to at least fill in the matriarch role for a while but I think she has moved on too.
So they are indeed kind of stuck. What needs to happen is for them to have the guts to introduce an entire new clan that can drive stories for decades and use Devon and Lily to get us to care.
I liked the way they once turned Leslie who had been a likeable recurring character in a different story into a more full-fledged character with a brother but that fizzled out. Maybe they can try this out again. Introduce secondary AA characters, see who the audience likes and then build something up around them.
Maybe one of those can have a pre-teen daughter that can, one day, be tied to Moses whenever they Sorase him. 
There are ways! But it requires them investing in that part of the audience.

Edited by FrenchBug82

• Members

I sympathize to a degree, as it was an unexpected tragedy, but they did absolutely nothing with the cast they *did* have on the canvas (BJ and CK), and that’s unconscionable to me. CK may not have been back full time at that point, but she was around. And, to this day, years later, they’ve done close to nothing to honor Neil.

• Members

@YRfan23 For whatever reason the First Round is starting Friday and not Thursday, and this year is the first year that the Second Round games are happening Monday during the day. I got the dates from NCAA Tournament 2021: March Madness TV schedule, tipoff times and Selection Sunday announced - CBSSports.com

Edited by kalbir