Behind-the-Scenes Feuds & Drama: TV’s Most Dysfunctional Sets

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I would agree with that. After S3, Buffy lost its sparkle, and it became a lot darker and depressing (if you can believe it). SMG's weight loss was noticeable and she just seemed unhappy.

I didn't know that about SMG and Marsters... they seemed to have a nice friendship going. Marsters talked about how he was filming long hours on Angel (the show) at one time, and SMG, despite pulling long hours herself, showed up on set with food for Angel cast and crew.

I feel like if Buffy (the show) had been allowed to evolve the way Angel (the show) had, or even if Buffy the character had transferred to Angel (the show) in an extended story arc, SMG might have been happier. IA that BTVS ran too long. I did enjoy S4 actually (unpopular as it was). I never re-watched S5-7 after they were first screened.

• Members

LOL I was surprised Cuoco even had a career after Charmed TBH. I have to believe her on TBBT might just be some kind of flash in the pan moment as I think her all her attempts at having a film career have been met with swift  negative reaction. I dug up this articles from around the time Big Bang ended detailing her putrid history, even so far as calling her a bad actress who just happened to get lucky:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/proof-that-kaley-cuoco-is-a-bad-actress-who-got-lucky-with-the-big-bang-theory.html/

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Haha since we’ve covered WB shows like Buffy and Charmed, what exactly all went down on 7th Heaven? I recall Jessica Biel and Catherine Hicks both became unmoored during their time on the show, with Biel of course being the one always in the tabloids and trying to rebel against the show’s wishes to get out. The actress who played Ruthie had a bunch of risqué photos come out around the same Vanessa Hudgens had her scandal. I know Brenda “Cookies” Hampton was a real controlling monster as the creator/EP of the show. The less said about Stephen Collins the better. 

• Members

I heard she became rather disillusioned/resentful of the show. I think she did say she’d like to due a reunion minus Stephen Collins. 

From what I  understand is that Messing has become a rather toxic individual since her divorce. Messing apparently was bossing/pushing Mullally around, and Mullally came to believe Messing is out of touch of reality. Now some claim Megan decided to pull her diva card but given Messing has become more of a vocal, outspoken individual for the last few years obviously a personality clash between the two occurred.

• Members

NYPD Blue 

It's so many I had to copy and paste them. 

The show had some infamous departures, including David Caruso, who reportedly left due to pay disputes and because he wanted to make movies. Jimmy Smits, whose Bobby Simone came in as a replacement for Caruso’s John Kelly, left because of the on-set antics of writer/co-creator David Milch (more on that below). Andrea Thompson also left because of Milch. Sharon Lawrence left more than once because she wasn’t satisfied with her character’s development/screen time. Amy Brenneman says she was fired. Kim Delaney left to star in a new show. Charlotte Ross left because she had a baby. Dennis Franz as Sipowicz was the only cast member to appear in every episode. 

DAVID MILCH HAD SOMETHING IN COMMON WITH SIPOWICZ.

Milch was considered a genius by his fellow co-creator Steven Bochco, but he had his demons. His procrastination and last-minute, on-set script and direction changes left many cast members frustrated. He revealed later that he was struggling with alcoholism and drug addiction during the production. Milch eventually cleaned up his act and went on to create the critically acclaimed HBO series Deadwood.

The series included more nudity and raw language than was common on broadcast television, which resulted in at least 30 of the network's affiliates—mostly in smaller markets—to not run the series when it debuted.[8]

In 2005, L. Brent Bozell III told TIME that the nudity on the series influenced him to establish the Parents Television Council, for which he served as president from 1995 to 2006.[9] The PTC has directly criticized several episodes of the show for perceived vulgarity[10][11][12] and filed complaint with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) over the use of obscene language in several episodes aired in early 2003, at the last half of the 10th season of the show,[13] associating the series with a perceived increase in profanity[14] and violence[15] on prime-time television from the late 1990s to early 2000s. The FCC ruled that the language in the episodes was indecent but decided not to fine ABC, because the episodes aired before a 2004 ruling that obscenities would lead to an automatic fine.[16] However, on January 25, 2008, the FCC fined ABC $1.4 million for the episode "Nude Awakening" (airdate February 25, 2003), due to scenes of "adult sexual nudity".[17] The fine was ultimately rejected by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit on January 6, 2011.[18]

According to NYPD Blue: A Final Tribute, a retrospective broadcast aired the same night as the last episode, the controversy was not limited to what was on the screen.[19] David Milch, the show's co-creator and head writer, was a controversial figure on the set during the seven years he was with the show.[20] His working style and tendency to procrastinate or make last-minute, on-set changes contributed to a frustrating working environment for some of the cast and crew.[20] Smits left the show when his contract ended because of it,[20] as did Andrea Thompson.[21] Milch cites his own alcoholism and other addictions as factors contributing to the difficult environment.[22][23] In spite of the controversy, Milch is usually credited as a major creative force during the years he worked on the show;[20] he won two Emmy Awards for his writing,[24] shared another as executive producer, and shared in a further 10 nominations for his writing and production.[25]

• Members

Marcia and Gabe would later reveal that they eventually realized Komack had pitted them against each other. They met up again 15 years post-show as their kids went to school together, and they became friendly until her death.

It's unfortunate, because the chemistry between them was the best thing about the show.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I’m glad they later made peace, especially in light of Strassman’s passing and Kaplan now being more famous as a skilled gambler than an actor. I know a lot of those late 70’s sitcoms had BTS drama but in Kotter’s case what a disaster for a show to rise high and then completely unravel that fast.

Re: NYPD Blue I know the Caruso debacle well but there was also Sherry Stingfield who quit the show in disgust after the first season being extremely displeased with her role. Unlike Caruso’s career who went into the gutter Stingfield landed ER although had she some major issues there a couple years later. 

• Members

The buzz I heard was that she and Nathan despised each other; that can have a bad effect on the entire crew. Kind of reminiscent of Cybil and Bruce on Moonlighting. Apparently the change in leadership in the later seasons wasn’t as strong get them to work together as well.

Long hours, high stress, and boredom/burnout can be serious factors that are detrimental to cast members in a long running show. David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson had a tumultuous working relationship during their later years on the X-Files due to a variety of factors including the above and it showed by Season 7. They later made up and became friends years after the show had ended.

Edited by soapfan770