Soap Moments You Wish You Could Have Witnessed

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

The 1984 Olympics on ABC when shortened versions of the soaps were presented.

Does anyone know more of exactly how this worked?

This was at a time when 60 min shows were entrenched and it would be interesting to see how they flowed jn the shorter format.

I loved it! ABC put their half hour soaps on hiatus for 2 weeks and only had the 1-3 pm slot to air their 3 popular soaps so they aired AMC from 1-1:40, OLTL from 1:40-2:20 -and GH from 2:20-3. Strange schedule, but it worked. Ratings were great. I think the most interest was in AMC because that’s when Jenny (Kim Delaney) blew up on the jet ski. I remember my family being glued to the shorter format. Can’t remember much about OLTL during those weeks because they were in trouble and the transition to Rauch was happening. Ratings wise, all 3 soaps benefitted. 

Edited by VanessaReardon

• Members

DAYS : Bill Bell's Run through 1981 

GENERATIONS - The entire run minus the first episode ( I've seen it a few times already) 

ANOTHER WORLD - Agnes Nixon -1981 

SEARCH FOR TOMORROW 50's -1983 

GUIDING LIGHT - The entire Dobson run 

• Members

I have been dying to see OLTL from 1968-1982. Carla's identity struggles, Vinny, the Odyssey story, Ed's arrival and Gillian's Viki/Niki among other things have intrigued me for years and then the Gordon Russell years seem phenomenal. 

GH-Audrey's murder trial with the babysitter

Where the Heart Is-seems like an insane show 

AMC- Ruth's speech and the early years

GL-late 60s and early 70s then the Dobson years

• Members

Love is a Many Splendored Thing - the earliest months featuring Nancy Hsueh as Mia Elliott. I just read more about the show's genesis in "Her Stories," and Irna really went to bat for this character and storyline. Hsueh was a gorgeous actress, probably one of soaps' loveliest leading ladies for the short time she was in daytime, and I'd just love to see some footage of her.

• Members

I think that I saw an episode  of The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet with Ms. Hseuh.   She played an Asian royal character.  Leslie Charleston (as Iris) seemed to be the plum of the cast to me.  Ms. Charleston had appeared on ABC's A Time for Us (possibly famianizing herself to Ms. Phillips, then had briefly played the step-daughter of Donald Hughes on As the World Turns.  The show had offered her a contract, but she would not sign it.  Then, she did sign to appear on Love Is a Many Splendored Thing.  I wonder why she changed her mind?

I have just checked, and the episode of Ozzie and Harriet IS on YouTube.  The title is The Sheik from Araby.