Soap Producers/Writers Odd Reasons Behind their exits

• Members

After reading some recent discussion about Ellen Wheeler becoming emotionally unmoored as we all know during her later years at GL, what are other instances of writers and producers becoming unglued? I can think of three off the top of my head: 

• Josh Griffith randomly abandoning his HW post in 2013, apparently having a massive meltdown and locked himself in his office. 
  • Lynn Marie Latham running off to lay low Central America during the Writer's Strike in 2007 and ended up getting fired by Sony. Then one of the dismissed sub writers, Marina Alburger threw an epic tantrum on her blog.
  • Joe Willmore having anger spells on the set and then experiencing an episode of stress induced vomiting during a tense meeting between Long and Zimmer. Apparently the GL crew was relieved once Calhoun stepped in as EP.  

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm not sure lol. Latham was obligated by her contract to keep working on Y&R because she was EP; she chose to go on strike and apparently take vacation time instead with the rest of her family, even clearing out her entire office when leaving out on strike. Alburger was left in a state of shock and even talked to her college newspaper about her dismissal. 

• Members

The may have been LML who banned plastic bottles but wouldn't surprise me if MAB later did the same thing. I remember an anonymous cast member (My money was on Jess Walton lol) dished to Soap Opera Weekly about how absurd conditions had gotten under Latham during her regime. 

• Members

There was some shade on the show after that interview from the production staff - Katherine was reading a newspaper article with a headline that mentioned that the crime rate was now treading down in Genoa City. Of course, MAB and company were just as lazy with their bad crime capers as Latham was...

• Members

And Bob Calhoun - what an underrated gem of a man/producer. He never got the credit for his work on ATWT and GL that he should have. Marland got all the credit at ATWT, and he was instrumental in making GL become an ensemble and grounded show again after it became the 'Reva Shayne Hour with special guests' in the mid-80's. 

I know by the time he left GL in 1991, he was fed up with the industry. However, we needed more producers like him, that's for sure.