Y&R to air classic episodes

• Members

Gotcha. The only regret I’ve heard Bell ever felt bad about was killing off Phillip III but that also cleared the way for that era to thrive as well. It’s interesting that Walton and Bergman won Emmys for their roles within a few years , I can only assume Bell & Co. must have felt vindicated. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I find it very hard to imagine Bell would've kept him if he didn't have another character to tie him to. He wasn't that important or special to create new characters and carve out space for. I was gonna say he could be the "Scott" in the Lauren/Sheila feud but I don't think Danny would ever be that oblivious.... lol

• Members

Word on the street is MAB’s two sister in laws don’t care for her much

Please register in order to view this content

. I can’t remember if it was right before MAB was fired or JG’s first go around where Thudley & Colleen threw in the offer to write for Y&R

• Members

Peter Barton was just the right amount of pretty, bland, and stupid to be between Sheila and Lauren.  Another firecracker would have destroyed the balance in that story!

Danny is a fine example of frontburner then forgotten.  He was on all the time for close to a decade.  Then just faded away.  At the time I was happy the show kept Phyllis even as they let Danny fade.

For all of our complaints about LLB, and Danny for that matter, the show went to number one and really took hold during the time they were on too much.  I know there was a lot to love about Y&R then- I certainly did and I could not stand Cricket. But she was on all the time, and her character and Danny’s must have been popular.  I know people that could tell you all about Cricket, and barely remember Cassandra.  

Nina saved scenes with Cricket for me back then.  I loved Nina.  I could tolerate Cricket when Nina was her rival and then her friend.  As someone that was annoyed by Cricket, it was hard to watch the show from about 88 to 94 without her being on 3 to 4 days a week.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

Not from the 1989 episodes I’ve seen. But there was a late 1989 episode where Jim/Nikki and Scott/Lauren had a “double date” at the ranch, which surprised me because I had never seen Nikki and Lauren together in ANY scene ever prior to this. This was just after Jack had returned (as Peter Bergman) and they were all talking about having a double wedding between Xmas and NY. 

Skip to 15:55 in this episode and you’ll see a young Danny interacting with Patty (Lillibet Stern), when he was still kinda seeing her (back when she was about to marry Jack who was cheating on her with Diane).

• Members

That’s fascinating, I need to watch more of 1989 then! Jim & Nikki I’ve seen a little of but they felt short lived while poor Lauren couldn’t have Brad or Paul so she settled with Scott.

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

lol yikes. Maria sounds like a fun person. NOT. 

Yeah. It's a little strange she killed those two characters, and they happened to be named Brad and Colleen. If Lorie were on the show at the time she'd have probably died too.

If you were a real writer with any care for the fabric of the show you don't kill off Traci's only child. 

Side note, and because I just happened to randomly watch clips of Lily and Dru over the Malcolm reveal .... Davetta Sherwood was so perfectly cast as Lily I remain irked to this day they fired her for that Valley Girl. Valley Girl would work fine as a different character, she's never been Lily to me. She did sort of work fine initially. I think I was just really turned off by her Lily after falling in love with Davetta's. I didn't mind Christel in her very first run as Lily. She worked as the teenage version.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Same ! The 1993, 1998 and 1999 are classic. I remember well the attic fight and the Jabot takeover of course but they are great episodes. The 2012 and 2014 I won’t bother.

and B&B only have one episode from the 90s’. Dear God !