Y&R to air classic episodes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

LLB was definitely put through her paces in that rape storyline.  WJB and LLB had to have felt some pressure to prove the worth of Cricket after TL walked.  I mean TL's Jack was so popular that WJB built an entire family around the character (from what I've read).  Deep down, you just know that WJB was like "Oh sh*t!" when TL decided to walk away from the role.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

In the late ‘90’s shortly after Seinfeld ended Thudley seriously considered O’Hurley as to finally cast John Forrester and SOD even interviewed O’Hurley. It never materialized though, I guess something happened to change their minds. John Forrester finally appeared in 2014 played by Fred Willard.

I always believed having him write Phyllis calling her “The Bug” was his answer to any fan complaints. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

And the writing still fell short for her, in most cases, imo. Maybe because of ED's physical look, it seemed as the writing of early Ashley worked too hard to make her overly vulnerable.  I would have loved to see her in a more powerful position, early.  It seemed like that's what they tried to do with her battles with Jack (which she generally ended up on the losing side), especially the last time before she left town for Paris, or NYC but it seemed like a half-hearted effort, of sorts.

• Members

Wasn't much of an answer though. Maybe a small gesture to placate people who didn't care for her? In any case, having a psycho like Phyllis being the one to deliver the line, gave sort of a back-handed perverse pleasure that was momentary, I guess. 

• Members

I'm only teasing you, I hope you know that! I genuinely understand why one would prefer BE. You not liking ED doesn't surprise me one bit. She was very different. Me, I think it's one of the best soap performances. Playing a reserved character that did not like to show emotion and yet communicating so much emotion and thought was masterful work. I loved the bizareness. It made her unique. But, hey, to each their own!

Oh God. And they did that 4 days out of the week lol Michael Damian has a LOT to thank Lauralee for.

I guess one can think of them as the Greek chorus of Y&R. It almost helps excuse it.

• Members

Terry Lester joined Santa Barbara not long after he left Y&R and was there for a year. He joined As the World Turns in the fall of 1992 and was there until the spring of 1994. Terry guest starred on some primetime shows in the late 1990s but he must have been dealing with health issues in the early 2000s as he passed away in 2003.

Edited by kalbir

• Members

Yes! I just know it shook him to lose TL and made him realize a few things.

If BB hadn't been such a masterful writer, what happened with Cricket would've been enough to sink a show.

• Members

The tragedy of it all, is that a few months after TL left - Cricket's insta-family was no more: Jessica dead, Jim written off, Scott sequestered off w/Lauren.  And the character of Jack was in a front-burner story with Nikki! Imagine if TL played that story instead of PB

Please register in order to view this content