Coronavirus/Covid-19 Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Unfortunately, such sights as those won't matter to those who still believe COVID-19 to be a hoax or something that's been blown out of proportion in order to scare folks/defeat Trump in the election.

But, I agree, it needs to be done.  In fact, as I've suggested elsewhere, if/when this is all over, there needs to be some sort of national memorial like the ones erected for the victims of 9/11.

• Members

I have no patience with these people at all. As if we all want to make our lives so much harder in a questionable attempt to get rid of Trump.  The economic damage being done right now is catastrophic. The full force of it hasn't hit these idiots yet.

Of course this will be another case where a democrat has to try to fix a destroyed economy. It's going to be even harder this time with Mitch McConnel at the helm trying to make sure the rabble don't get a single extra crumb, while his cronies are still making money hand over fist. It's disgusting to watch unfold.

• Members

I can understand why people mostly want to vent their rage against people who are flouting social distancing while they have stayed at home and lost freedom and money. I also get that comments like "grandma and grandpa will die" have lost any effectiveness they ever had. I just wish that so many wouldn't make blanket statements about how these idiots are all going to get sick or die. Many of them won't. That doesn't make their behavior any better. But it does mean that people who are opposed to such selfishness are more easily written off as hysterical and easy to ignore. 

• Members

It's sad to me that this has become some strange partisan squabble.  We're something like 11 weeks in now. How many people can truly say they haven't taken any risks at all? I could say that for the first two months. Then I took my son to a friend's for a play date. Then my neighbor starting putting his son over the fence in the backyard to play with my son (without invitation).  I looked outside to see them sharing a water bottle!! 

It wasn't long before I realized that many of us are now lying to ourselves about how careful we're being. We are making small exceptions and thinking that counts as being careful, but all those small risks compound, which is obviously how infectious disease works.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Someone joked that in Staten Island, that's called being nice, lol.

Seriously though, people forget that S.I. is a part of NYC and given the enormous losses that NYC suffered, it is likely that most of the people in that supermarket probably knows someone who got sick or died from COVID-19. Emotions are likely running quite high.