• Members

I was thinking about all the times I laughed out loud watching soaps, and I was very rarely amused by the characters written as broad, yuk-yuk-waka-waka-waka types. The very best actors—the Beverlee McKinseys, the Susan Flannerys, the Robin Mattsons, the Victoria Rowells—could make me double over with laughter with just a cutting line reading in an otherwise dramatic scene. 

But I admit to having enjoyed obviously “comical” characters like Vivian/Ivan or early Susan (at times) on DAYS

What are some scenes/characters/shows that (intentionally) made you LOL?Dorothy Lyman’s Opal on AMC was a kick...I only knew Jill Larson’s version growing up:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

"Hog jowls...ugh!"

This scene always cracks me up everytime I've see it.  Lucinda invites Sierra to have a swanky dinner with her and Lily, which Sierra declines due to an invitation she already has for dinner at Lyla's.  When Sierra tells Lucinda what's on the menu, Lucinda is repulsed. I think this was an ode to Finn Carter (God bless her!) and her Southern upbringing.

• Members

This just a bad recording from youtube but the scene where Ashlee Wolfe, Doris's daughter sang at her and Alan's wedding - "There is Love", and the look on all the wedding guests faces...and the 2nd verse when she does the extra vibrato and jaw shaking and head bobbing...they over camped it but we've all been there - those weddings where you have to keep yourself from laughing because someone is so bad, and then inevitably later at the reception, the family will say how beautifully he/she sang.

Found a better one of it:

Beth pretends to try and trip Doris when she's coming down the aisle...and people half heartedly clap when he introduces her....

Edited by Fevuh

• Members

Absolute classics: 

I think it is a true testament to Darlene Conley's talent and acting ability that she go from the terrifying and menacing Rose DeVille to the larger than life Sally Spectra. I wonder if Bell had originally intended for Sally to more of a formidable foe but dropped it as Sally was a lot more sympathetic.  

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Darlene could do anything. A serious talent. I imagine Bill had to decide at a point whether he took Sally down a true villainess path and decided to play against that, but even from the start, Sally's initial introduction was a woman with a heart who wanted better for her daughter. 

• Members

Great point. Sally Spectra was one of his greatest creations, and a character very unique to B&B as unlike other early B&B characters there was no Y&R counterpart at all. It's interesting Bell had originally planned for Leanna to be dark and creepy but while writing the Lisa Mansfield story at the same time he decided to have Leanna go crazy the opposite direction. I believe Bell made the same decision with Sally who was also initially involved in the strange Deveney Dixon story. Smart move. 

Edited by soapfan770

• Members

Larry Hagman as J.R. Ewing on Dallas would spew some hilarious lines. In one episode he was confronting Val. She asked him how he found her and he said " When I found out you were back in town, I had my people check out some of the cheaper motels. Figuring you were living the life your accustomed to. Sure enough here you are. He would also refer to Pam as " That Barnes Girl" and told Sue Ellen " Nothing is uglier than a woman who can't handle her liquor". Calling her slut, tramp etc a lot of times when she was passed out... He also was annoyed about Bobby's friend Guzzler showing up and talking non stop. He went upstairs to bed to get away from him and muttered under his breath " That actress Farrah Fawcett Majors could become Farrah Fawcett Guzzler.......LOL

• Members

"I just thought that you wouldn't want something that would rub off on the pillowcase. That could be very embarrassing on the first date." 

Please register in order to view this content

@DRW50 brought this other gem from Opal to my attention.

Edited by SFK