DAYS: Possible upcoming "event" spoiler

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

"Many of the emotions that soap operas engage (in are) negative  (ones). (Jean) Rouverol (1984) insists that soaps are about conflict and that the potential for conflict should fill every scene. She writes, There is conflict inherent in every human situation, and it is the head writer's task to recognize it and make use of it. Without conflict there is no drama." - Tune In, Log On, Nancy K. Baym, student of RATS; Jean Rouverol was a blacklisted author; after writing 3 books she returned to soaps & was hired as co-head writer for the CBS soap opera Guiding Light. Rouverol wrote scripts for Search for Tomorrow and As the World Turns as well.

The story of the 3 prisms definitely sounds like negative emotions.

Edited by Donna B
Fix the text.

• Members

Port Charles takes away from the illusion of General Hospital for me. No one on GH minus the cross over characters are aware of vampires running around the town?

They basically negated that in 2013ish when they retconed Caleb to be a serial killer who believed he was a vampire. 

Edited by ironlion

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Yep.

You could almost see it on-screen when the story shifted and things were re-written.

I kind of feel like this time jump is just a plot device so Ron can "do anything he wants" and then voila, Hope wakes up in the hospital chapel after Rolf injects her. Just a weird gut feeling I have.

Does Corday actually have faith in Ron or is he letting him hang himself? He seems to know Ron has folks at least talking about the show.

• Members

Ken Corday interview:

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/mercado-on-tv-with-ken-corday-us-exec-producer-days-of-our-lives/

Within weeks, the show is promoting it will do something that has never been done before in daytime. “Let’s just say that the Friday cliffhanger is so gobsmacking, we are now trying to figure out how we can possibly top it for our 55th anniversary next year.” Corday teases that we should look to how This Is Us goes forwards and backwards in time. “It’s also a chance to bring back a few characters to the show,” he said, but Bo (Peter Reckell) will not be one of them. “He is happily settled in Indiana and not coming back to Hollywood.” Another debunked tabloid tale is Jennifer Aniston appearing alongside her dad for John Aniston’s (Victor Kiriakis) last episode. “He is not leaving,” laughed Corday. “But we are always talking to Jennifer, so you never know.”

Edited by dragonflies

• Members

"...ratings surge..."?

"...legendary head writer..."?

"...dramatically increased viewership for OLTL and GH..."?

“After a year under his pen, we garnered more awards in one night than any show ever had before in Daytime Emmy history,” says Corday. 

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I can't even.

• Members

Corday's also the man who hired Higley three times so ... 

But none of that is actually wrong. Slightly over-emphasized? Sure. But it's true. I know Ron is hated but he gets folks watching and talking, good or bad (and don't take that as a defense of him, really ... it's true, just ratings overall suck regardless). DAYS has deeper problems than just Ron (not that he isn't an issue in his own way, but I'd take him ANYDAY over Higley and Tomsell)

We'll never get back to what these soaps used to be. We just won't. Ever. I'll sadly take what I can get.

To be fair, just a note, I've been choosing to watch old episodes of soaps on YouTube over current episodes of all four soaps so ...

Please register in order to view this content

amazing how even when I watch a bad episode or terrible time, it's still 100x more watchable than anything we have today.

And to be fair, what's Corday or the writer of the article supposed to say? Ron sucks? LOL. Of course they'd talk him up. Just like Corday saying Reckell's never coming back. Yeah, right. He'd never spoil Bo's return in a random interview, of course he'd say the line he knows he has to say.

But I laughed with you, even though it's accurate.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Deidre and Drake already confirmed it's a time jump.

I think it will ultimately be a fakeout if it's not well received, which it probably won't be.

I'm glad he said John Aniston isn't leaving. Folks keep saying it.

And he'd never say "oh yeah sure Bo's back, there's our big twist" he's a moron but not THAT stupid. For the record I believe what he said and that Reckell is happy but folks took that as gospel, when, of course Corday would say that. lol.

What surprised me in that interview was that DAYS was #1 on the NBC app (and it's true). Folks worrying about DAYS being cancelled need to relax. It does better than some of their primetime shows. And not like they have a 600th hour of Today planned (which is also not without problems). But at the end of the day, is the soap profitable for them? That's really all that matters. So ... hmmm.

Streaming is where soaps need to be. I've been saying it since GL was cancelled ten years ago (TEN YEARS FOLKS ... can you believe it?).

Edited by KMan101

• Members

I have to disagree . The ratings for RC's shows have never shown significant rating surges; not what I would consider "significant," anyway. There is a limited audience for the kind of low-brow camp he is capable of dishing out.

Well, he may get some folks watching, but the toilet-level ratings indicate it's not enough, and if a lot of the talking is negative and derisive, that is not a plus for the show.

I know many people feel that way, but I just cannot bring myself to accept excrement over nothing. I'd rather take the nothing.

Yep, thank heaven for youtube, dailymotion, and all our old DVDs and VHS tapes!

He could, and should, cut back on the hyperbole. Such obvious bullsh*t just makes him look like an untrustworthy or delusional fool. 

After all these years, and after all his ridiculous "The Plan to Save DAYS!" interviews, Corday needs to come up with a better way of presenting himself, IMHO.

• Members

I'm so excited for this time jump.  Soaps desperately need to switch sh!t up... the fact that it's novel for it to go from night to the next day in an episode shows how frozen in time this medium is.  However, what they want to achieve here is pretty complicated under the best circumstances ("Lost"/"Once Upon a Time")... with the rushed writing/filming and Dollar Tree budget, it'll be a miracle if they pull this off past the first couple weeks.

• Members

My thing about Corday's comment, alluding to the idea that soaps should time hop around like "This Is Us," is that it's not feasible for a soap opera. Soaps are a linear narrative. If you wanna time hop into the future and go back and forth right now, that's fine, but eventually you catch up to the future. Which makes me think DAYS doesn't have a long future ahead. 

In all honesty though, looking back at where we were in 2011, I'm surprised it made it to 2015. But just as nobody wanted to be "that person" who pulled the plug on GL, eventually someone is going to do it. 

However, it IS promising (if true, you know Corday) to hear DAYS is the most watched show on the NBC website.