LATEST RATINGS: May 6-10, 2019

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Well, when the network only wants young eyes the shows do not feature vets. So long term viewers are finally leaving in droves because they are getting soap content in a new way.  Real housewives franchise, other reality tv that has run for a decade or so are the new soaps to those viewers.

There is no getting them back without catering to them and networks won’t because those characters are too old for the demo they want.  Goodbye daytime drama.

I was introduced to soaps through my grandmother, my mom and my sister.  My mom considers The Real Housewives to be her soap of choice, hasn’t watched daytime in close to 10 years.  I am the only one who still watches on occasion, and those occasions are getting further apart.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

They keep regurgitating the same writers, producers and directors.  

Meng/Allar need to go. But Corday is the issue ultimately along with no budget. Wendy Riche can go toe to toe with Corday's interference and whip Carlivati into shape. Tell him to be more like Labine and less like Reilly.  I think he could do it. Promote Broderick as co-head to keep him in balance.

Valentini is long passed his peak.  Get Jenn Pepperman as EP and Korte as HW. Dump all the mobsters.

Morina was a safe choice but Griffith is already showing that boredom is his strength.  Promote Ferri Esser as HW.

• Members

I think that was true 10-15 years ago but these shows now are literally drowning in vets. It’s the stories that suck, they’re not even trying anymore. The acting is poor, the stories are dull, nothing feels fresh of exciting. There’s no urgency or energy to any scene because the actors get virtually no rehearsal or direction, the writing is just regurgitating plot points. There is no reason to watch these shows because you’re not missing anything.

• Members

Yeah, these shows are playing it safe to the point of enervation. They are playing to the base with the intent of riding out the medium as long as they can financially. They believe, probably with a lot of justification, that there is no reward to risk-taking when there are no realistic new viewers to be won.

I DVR’d some Y&R, as many posters here said it had improved, but these new episodes were a slog. Nothing felt vital. Maybe if I’d kept watching months ago, instead of dropping things when the show became “The Young and the Rosaleses,” these new stories might have resonated with me more. But if you lose a viewer, it doesn’t matter if the quality goes up incrementally. That viewer is going to be tough to win back. There are simply too many other ways to spend time these days, even beyond TV and streaming. 

And we’ve all seen quality on soaps go up with new regimes in the initial weeks, only to plummet back to earth and often deteriorate to the point where you’d welcome back the previous awful regime.

Soaps may be the only TV genre where programming looks worse as time goes on and technology advances.

• Members

That lack of direction and rehearsal time hurts young and inexperienced actors who only have  enough time to memorize and slog through 20-40 pages of dialogue at a time, without any guidance from a director in rehearsal to try to pick up the nuances and subtext of what could be on the page.  As a result, we get some flat, basic, very matter-of-fact acting with no levels or layers.  Usually what we get is some very straight-forward and dull characterizations.

• Members

ratings continue to fall because even the actors/producers/writers/directors/hair + clothes people/set designers don't care and that shines through to the viewers. Everyone involved in "soap" rn are just doing it for a paycheck and that shows more so today than it did back in the soap hay day. And the actors that seem to care about their roles get pooped on by fans for being "too much" so it's just a self-fulfilling prophecy of "mehhhhhhhhhh" that's churned out on the daily. Sad, tbh. 

Edited by dio

• Members

I would expect Y&R and B&B continue to drop.  Y&R - I'm not into Nu Nu Nu Adam or however many there have been and the last day I watched was when he had suddenly gotten his memory back and then demanded $500 Million, Christian, and for Victoria and Nick to get Chelsea and Connor back.  I was like...OK wait a minute.  Christian wouldn't even know who he is.  The character had a chance with me when he was actually nice - amnesia Adam.  Now?  A complete 180 and makes all of these demands and it's like Victor is supporting him?  Nah.  Don't want another Chelsea/Adam thing - I just don't care.  Don't want Victor manipulating everyone over and over and over.  Overly horny Summer - blah.  Saw Michele Stafford will come back and they likely treated Gina Tognoni like crap - I liked her as Phyllis.  No longer invested.  Changed the channel. 

B&B I watch here and there just to hear Zoey tell Flo and her mother to go back to Vegas.  Because if they go back to Vegas then Flo really isn't Storm's daugther and Hope's cousin?  If they leave that just fixes everything?  For days and days that's her main line.  Go back to Vegas.  And Hope - gets the man she wants then insists he go be with Steffy.  I just don't care - it's all a bore.  The dead baby switch needs to go.  I've said before...if Liam does go back to Steffy I hope Hope never finds out Phoebe is hers....cause then she'll be goin' after Liam again.  The best thing on the show in the past year was Steffy telling Liam to leave...that she could raise the baby on her own and she was committed to being herself.  Finally a female character that doesn't necessarily need a man.  But I won't be watching after this mess.  I will tune in my 1 or 2 times a week to see the same lines repeated and same storylines repeated over and over.  This show is awful for a couple so in love to break up and jump in bed with someone else who is now their true love within 24 to 48 hours.  Creepy Thomas is the worst...he supposedly desperately loved Caroline and she's not even dead-cold for 5 days and he desperately needs to bed Hope.  Blah.  The whole show for years now has been a Hope/Liam/Steffy triangle (add Sally or sub-in Ivy), add in Wyatt trying to get his brother's sloppy seconds....Brooke/Bill/Ridge/Katie....re-introduce Donna who has had nothing to do. Wash, rinse repeat.  Brad Bell just doesn't know what to do with certain characters - Thorne, Donna, Thomas, Caroline...Rick...make Maya a transgender and maybe that will get ratings...and it didn't.  Had a great opportunity to have a Nicole/Maya/Rick triangle and didn't do it. 

eh, meh.  I'll do my 1 to 2 days a week with my DVR and Fast Forward alot and that's enough to keep up. 

Edited by Fevuh

• Errol unpinned this topic