The Media/Journalism Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Politico's Playbook, seemingly desperate for drama, is trying to claim that Democrats are pulling out all the stops to take back an Iowa House seat that the Republican won by 6 votes, framing it as hypocrisy and "both sides," and ignoring reporting that makes it clear it's not going to happen.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I think the administration right now is missing a golden opportunity to exploit the over attentive news coverage on the border issue(which has existed for several months) to turn this into a rallying cry for immigration reform. I was watching a clip of Jacob Sobaroff who was on The View today(he's one of the few reporters I trust on this issue)  who was honest about the current problem which has existed for almost a year and pretty much ignored by the media.

The comments about not being allowed in the facilities is disturbing and it just causes photos to be leaked. Maybe some of this was problematic because the lazy senate took so long to confirm the new heads of DHS and HHS.  But now that the media is hyperventilating, use this as a chance to rally Americans to the side of immigration reform. Let the reporters in to show people what the administration inherited. It might finally be the chance to get real reform passed.

• Members

I think they are terrified, they know that an immigration bill can't be worked out between the wings of the party and will not pass (and Republicans won't help them), so it just keeps on becoming more and more of an issue, eagerly pushed forward by the press. The media knows all these headlines have drowned out the COVID relief, just as they planned.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

They actually haven't, though. The polling and the public are still with Biden at the moment and focused on the relief effort. This border thing is going to become just like the "caravan" - a nothingburger pushed by the right that doesn't resonate with voters, and that the media will pretend they didn't help push when it doesn't catch on.

The border issue is ongoing, and will continue to be difficult. But I am not seeing any indication in the whole week or less that it's been pushed that this has actually damaged Biden or his administration in any actual substantive way.

• Members

I think the problem at the border as @vee said is ongoing. It's the lazy media that is ignoring that aspect. But I also think the admin was trying to do what they could with EO's until their people got in place. I don't think it's a coincidence that Mayorka and Baccera were both slow-walked, but I say who cares if the GOP won't do anything. Like on COVID relief use this chance and expose them.

I do think it's another issue that people are hyperventilating over that really is not fully resonating. Granted I live in a generally liberal to moderate state but while there has been local news coverage of immigration challenges, most everything is still focused to everyday folks on COVID whether it's vaccinations, re-openings of businesses, schools, sporting events and so on.  Remember there are still these issues which are impacting the ability for folks to get back to something that's closer to what they consider normal.  Hard to focus on other things when your own life is still is a quandry.

Edited by JaneAusten